MBA Popping sound from speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by myusi, Aug 18, 2011.

1. myusi macrumors newbie

Just got my 13 inch, 1.8, i7 MBA, and there is this random "popping" sound coming from the speakers. Doesn't matter what the volume level is, or if it's muted. No pattern, no "every 30 seconds", it's just random. It's turning into Chinese water torture. Any solutions or settings that can fix this that anyone knows of?

Thanks for any help

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I haven't heard that on mine. It could be interference from a nearby radio source? I'd record it if you can and take it in for service or replacement. That doesn't sound normal. You can try resetting the PRAM or SMC just for giggles.

3. myusi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try the PRAM, then hit up the Apple Bar if that doesn't work.
    Thanks.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Having popping sounds from my wife's new i7 MacBook Air, too. Whenever you reboot the system, the speakers pop, and when you play a sound file it pops, too. Then after you stop playing any sound, it pops again exactly 40 seconds later. Then, if you start playing sound again, it pops again!

:(

May have to "pop" to the Apple Store to see what's going on here...

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

Just took the MacBook Air back to the Apple Store, and exchanged it for a new i7 model. No issues with the new one popping, and as a "bonus," the new one has both Samsung LCD and Samsung SSD, whereas the first was LG LCD and Toshiba SSD. Win all round, it seems. :)

6. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Hmmmm, mine has been popping in and out all day while running it to my external speakers. Completely random, like yours.

I hope it isn't persistent.

7. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

I think that the audio out stops supplying power after a certain amount of time if no audio is detected. Thus creating a pop whenever turned on or off? I only experience this on my 2010 MBA with headphones on.

8. kilonet macrumors member

The speakers are ****** anyway..how can you connect external speakers to MBA?

9. misterneums macrumors 6502

This. I definitely get it when I finish watching a movie and then go onto a non-audio related task.

10. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Through many options. Thunderbolt/Mini display port to HDMI out is one. Headphone jack out to RCA, headphone input, etc.

11. KillerTree macrumors regular

How can you tell what LCD you have?

12. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Copy and paste below into your Terminal App.

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Designations are below.

LT = Samsung
    LP = LG