MBA purchase dilemma...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cyhliu, Apr 23, 2012.

  1. cyhliu macrumors newbie

    Apr 23, 2012

    Have been using this site for a while now but never really had the need to post anything but am facing a small dilemma which I would appreciate your feedback.

    I currently using a white late 2007 MB and am contemplating getting a new MBA 13". The MB is working fine, I've upgraded the RAM and the HDD and the only problem now is the temperamental back light on the screen which turns off at certain angles. The reason that I am thinking of upgrading it because I am planning a trip to the US (I'm from London, UK) in mid-May and checking out the prices in the US vs UK, I would be saving over $450 on the top spec MBA but then I have been hearing about the new Ivy Bridge processors and the improved speed and efficiency, but sadly no idea of release dates (but assuming it will be after my trip).

    So my dilemma is whether to purchase the current one and pocket the savings or wait for the new MBA with the new processors and pay the extra GBP? Having said that I probably wouldn't buy until later if I do get it in the UK as the MB is still running fine, but I guess the attraction is the savings I'll be making knowing that I probably will be upgrading in the next year or two.

    A couple of questions also is does the MBA get hot with prolong use? My MB gets pretty hot over time and so I'd be glad for a cooler running machine. Also, whats the likelihood of the 256GB HD being increased with the new MBA?

  2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 1, 2012
    New York
    Waiting and buying in the US seems like it could work for you. If you really want to upgrade then you'll be happy. As far the MBA increasing the SSD size, I honest don't know, there haven't really been any rumors of it, but I would say it probably unlikely, there aren't really any larger cost effective SSDs. The problem your describing on your MB by the way sounds like the LCD ribbon cable which is generally cheap to replace.
  3. Xikum macrumors 6502

    Oct 19, 2011
    If your 2007 MB is fine for your needs, then its pretty safe to say that the 2011 MBA will be more than enough power for you.

    I say buy it in the US and save the cash. Ivy-Bridge isnt going to be ground breaking upgrades; certainly noting like C2D->Sandy Bridge.

    The MBA does not run 'cool'. It will possibly be hotter than your current MB as its made of aluminium (vs your MB plastic). As for the SSD size; I think its unlikely. The prices of 512 GB SSD's are extortionate and I very much doubt you would want to pay the price Apple would sell it to you for.
  4. SouthTexas macrumors newbie

    Feb 5, 2012
    If you need it, go for it

    If you really need a MBA right now, then I would say to go for it. But if you really can wait, I know that the upgrade definitely should be happening sooner rather than later. They are great machines, rugged, and they don't really need as hard core of a processor thanks to the great SSD. Cheers and enjoy your trip to the US! :D
  5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

    PBG4 Dude

    Jul 6, 2007
    I have a 2006 whitebook and it gets hotter than my 2010 (C2D) 13" MBA. The 2011 MBAs are supposedly hotter though.

    If you know someone in the US, a way to save even more money would be to order from the US online refurb store. Even if you had to order overnight shipping it would still save money over buying in a store, or alternatively, let you step up to a larger SSD for the same money as a non-refurb unit.
  6. funnybunnyp macrumors newbie

    May 5, 2012
    I was in same boat. My 2007 white MB was working fine but I recently found a good deal and bought a MBA. I am glad I did. You will upgrade it at some point. So I think it is a good idea that you buy it while in US.

    MBA does not get hot, just a little bit warm after 5 hours of active usage. I do not know why some people told that the MBAs are supposed to be hotter. I was told just the opposite.

    It quite fast. It makes no sound at all. I was thinking that my MB is very light but since I have my MBA my old one feels very heavy to me
  7. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

    Jan 14, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I found this funny/punny. :)

    The only thing you might consider is the possible inclusion of USB 3.0 in the next MBA. Don't know for sure if it will be there, but it is supported on the Ivy Bridge chipset, so it would make sense. Thunderbolt could theoretically supply you with USB 3.0 with the current model, however. Depends on what accessory manufacturers do.

Share This Page