MBA Question -Newbie

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HKFan, Oct 27, 2011.

1. HKFan macrumors newbie

Hello,

New to the site.
    I am debtaing on which Macbook to purchase.
    I have it narrowed down to the 13" MBA and 13" MBP.
    I normally just use a laptop for storing family pics, searching the web, word, etc. Nothing extreme.
    Would the low end MBA with 128GB flash storage be enough?
    Thx

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If thata what all you do then yes.
    If you watch and store videos or movies, get the MBP.

If you travel or carry it out alot and only surf the web, some pictures, get the MBA.

MBA has a SSD so its faster in most things than standard MBP with HDDs.

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

MBA should be sufficient for the tasks you mentioned. If you're okay with the size and weight of the Macbook Pro, I'd recommend the MBP 13" with 128GB SSD which is $100 more than MBA.

4. HKFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you order the MBP this way?

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I say yes it will do just fine for what you said. I also use mine to watch tv shows on it so I don't know why one of the previous posters suggested a pro to store and watch videos

6. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

You absolutely don't need a MBP for that. The only way the MBP would be cheaper is with a traditional hard disk rather than SSD. The SSD is what makes it insanely fast. I'd get the MBA in a heartbeat, and then get yourself a USB hard drive that you can use to store/backup pictures that overrun your SSD on the MBA.

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Yes, you can configure your system at the Apple Online store. Or you can install one manually. OCZ/Intel SSD's are cheaper and faster than Apple's offering.

8. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I agree with this comment. For your usage you really do not need a MBP. MBA 13" is going to be perfect for your usage and its super fast too with SSD. I have similar usage to yours and I actually moved away from having a MBP and bought myself a MBA instead. :)