MBA refurb bad idea?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tupelo3, Jul 17, 2009.

1. tupelo3 macrumors member

Anyone think its a bad idea to get an MBA refurb considering all of the display and hinge problems?

2. Meever macrumors 6502a

Generally from what I hear it's better to get them refurbished since the defect checking process is much more rigorous. And besides, you'll have the exact same warranty anyways.

I think the real question here is why even consider getting the Air when the 13' MBP does everything it does twice as better with like barely anymore heft.

3. tupelo3 thread starter macrumors member

Well, its a good question. I currently have a White Macbook..... and was looking for something with less weight. 1.5lbs doesnt sound like a huge difference until you carry it around with other things all day.... and sit it on your lap/chest for five hours at a time. Its a debate im having with myself though, i agree.

4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

dude, you DO NOT want to start this again.

soon, hordes of MBA owners will come to its defense, using rationalizations such as "the 2 lbs. off really makes a difference when walking long distances" or "it fits in a manilla envelope"

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Agreed. Difference between base 13" MBP and high-end MBA is tiny, just .13GHz and better battery. Though MBA is a lot more expensive, it's worth it, IMO.

6. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I bought my MBA refurb and it's been brilliant. I'd say go for it.

7. joehahn macrumors regular

the main thing in my mind would be if you're willing to spend the kind of money for it. personally i think the SSD version is nice, but you can get the low end 13" MBP for $1200 as opposed to $1800.

another thing you should as yourself is if you can life with out the USB ports and a super drive. granted you can always buy a hub and the external drive, but who really wants to carry all of that extra junk around anyways

8. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I wouldn't worry about it since they come with a 1yr warranty anyway.

Personally, I'd wait (if I could) until October. I'd bet that Apple will update the look of them & the trackpad (and who knows what else).

9. janitor1999 macrumors regular

I got a MBA from the refurb store, not had any problems,would never have got one if i'd had to pay full price, infact my old imac G5 is probably the the only mac i have left that didn't come from the refurb store.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It should be all right, as long as it's not an original mba with the gma 950 graphics....they're underpowered and run hot doing simple tasks like watching videos online.

11. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I bought the original MBA and it rarely gets over 55-60* even after watching online videos.. maybe i got lucky?