MBA rev A + iMac or MacBook plus ext display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kvasir, Jan 10, 2009.

  1. kvasir macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #1
    Hello all. I'm contemplating the purchase of a MBA 1.6 80 gig now for $999 and then getting an iMac when Snow Leopard comes out. I'll be selling my 1.83 1st gen MBP with a 320 gig HD to fund the purchase. I am concerned about the lack of upgradability hard drive wise, but the primary use will be word processing, surfing the net, and some on the go photo processing.

    Here's my dilemma. I had planned on waiting to get a MacBook until Core i7 mobile. I have a 22 inch widescreen already, but am getting tired of lugging the MBP to work each day. I know the MacBook is thin anyway and is about a pound heavier. I want the upgradability of a MacBook, but the ultraportability of a MBA.

    I planned on getting the midlevel MacBook if that helps.

    Should I spring for the MBA and iMac combo or wait for the MacBook?
     
  2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

    tubbymac

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    #2
    Don't know about the Air but I have a Macbook Aluminum with a Dell 2407 external monitor and it's painful. I'd advise you to check out the long threads on the support forums on the Apple discussion web site about the new unibodies and external displays. There's everything from screen black outs, static, display sleep, wake up, and incorrect resolution issues. The last firmware update and even the 10.5.6 updates didn't fix the problems for a lot of people.
     
  3. kvasir thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #3
    Thanks, I didn't realize that the MacBook had ext. display issues.

    Well, I did some calculations and here is what I came up with.

    MBA $999
    iMac $1,149
    Ram $100 (guessing that's what DDR3 prices will be later)
    Snow Leopard $129
    Apple Care $183 and $119

    I could sell my MBP for around $800 and my monitor for $100 to offset the cost bringing the total to $1783 without tax.

    MacBook $1499
    Ram $150
    AppleCare $183

    Total $1,832.

    These are close numbers. Now that is assuming that the MBP will sell in this down economy for that price. I would keep my MBP if I had the MB just so I could have FireWire.

    This makes it even more complicated.
     
  4. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #4
    iMac and Macbook Air. That way you have two computers on the opposite end of the spectrum. Ultra-portable and a powerful desktop. Keeping the MBP just for Firewire is a waste. The upgrade to the iMac will be nice when you are at home, and the Air will be a great companion computer to it. I have that setup, and it works beautifully.

    Of course, as you said, wait till the iMac's will be refreshed.
     
  5. justit macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2007
    #5
    Can't speak for the Dell, but my Acer 24" was hooked up to an older white macbook just fine. There was never a screen black out. Yes there are wake issues but they would occur from the back and forth plugging and unplugging of the display which has more to do with OSX than the hardware.

    If you aren't too mobile and mostly on the desktop, a 3rd party external ($275) and a new alu macbook is a great value. My only gripe on the alu macbook was that the display wasn't up to my business standards so I chose the MBA and a desktop.

    The MBA is a great machine, don't let "older" bother you. Your existing MBP with an external 24" is also great option to keep it hooked up. along with e refurb MBA. $999+$249
     
  6. tubbymac macrumors 65816

    tubbymac

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    #6
    From what I've been following on the Apple support forums, it seems to be an issue with the new aluminum unibody machines, not the older plastic ones. Same types of problems happen with the notebooks in Windows so it's not just an OSX problem. More likely it's a driver issue or (hopefully not) a hardware issue.

    This is what it looks like on an Apple cinema display. On my Dell I get static instead of the blinking.

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AgbN1NlWsLA

    Just make sure to scour the Apple forums if you do decide on the Macbook and the external monitor and make sure your particular brand and model of monitor doesn't have any issues.

    But I agree with others - not worth keeping your MBP around just for the firewire. Seems a MBA + iMac would better suit your needs.
     
  7. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #7
    Maybe it's a problem with the adaptors? Are there any issues with the new LED screen?
     
  8. tubbymac macrumors 65816

    tubbymac

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    #8
    Haven't heard anybody complain about their Macbooks and the new 24 inch LED cinema display, so chances are things work perfectly with the new display. Apple would have to be really stupid to not test their new display with the new notebooks. Too bad they weren't smart enough to test their OLD displays with their new notebooks.
     
  9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #9
    i would personally opt for the imac + macbook air.
     
  10. kvasir thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #10
    Decision has been made, I'm going for the MBA + iMac.

    Now to get this MBP sold....

    Thanks for the advice folks!
     
  11. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #11
    You won't regret it. As I said, the two together are a great combination.
     

Share This Page