MBA rev. A vs. B - before I buy - Very confused

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NYU02, Dec 13, 2008.

  1. NYU02 macrumors regular

    Feb 13, 2007
    I'm sure most of these questions were posted in other threads but I'm all set to buy an air today and I have a couple questions. I decided to get an air to travel and hook it up to a monitor at home. I will be using for basic home use and some simple editing. Here are my questions:

    1) I know Rev A had a ton of problems but now that they are 500 cheaper, is it worth it? Have they fixed most of the problems?

    2) How much slower is it? I know they used PATA hard drives on the old MBA. Will I notice the difference or should I care?

    3) With the Rev. B - I see all the threads about screen problems. I went to a couple apple stores and on some I saw lines on other I didn't. Is this issue just on a few MBAs? Is it just me but I feel if you put your face up to any of the apple laptops you will eventually see the same lines. Or am I wrong?

    4) I would like to save the 500 and put it towards the new Apple Monitor. Will the old MBA work well with it?

    5) With 500 in mind, which would you chose?

    6) should I buy from the apple store or go to a best buy. I feel like apple keeps getting fresh computer so if there was a design flaw in the first batch it would be gone and a best buy would be sitting on the old batch. Or am I just wrong? ha

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your insight and help.

  2. 6SSD4 macrumors member

    Nov 30, 2008
    I'm not much help, but isn't a good place for a buy?
    You can get the Rev. A SSD for $1599 compared to $2339 for the Rev. B SSD.

    If you're in for more heavy work, maybe it's worth it, but not for me. I'm buying the Rev A SSD. (though I have to add another 25% to the price as I'm Norwegian)

    Are you thinking of buying the standard one or the SSD one? I assumed you were considering the SSD as you mentioned the screen problems.

    You can also compare the $2339 to $1150 for the cheapest one. That's almost $1200 saved. You can get an iPhone and a white Macbook 2.4, or an Alu Macbook for that price.. It's all about what you want and what you need.
  3. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 13, 2007
    Yes, let me add that I am considering the SSD.

    here is an additiona questions.

    How much slower is the older SSD drive? I know its smaller which is fine but is it slower and less reliable?

    Thanks again,
  4. h1d macrumors regular

    Nov 30, 2008
    I wrote on another thread, but my rev A SSD shows around 50MB/s random read, while on other site's benchmark aritcles, rev B says 90MB/s. Theoretically, but that's about the difference imo, not to mention double the capacity. Technical wise, rev B is far better, except...
  5. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 13, 2007
    also, the only other option i am considering is a macbook.

    so one more question:

    Rev A vs. macbook? and is a pata hard drive still better then a regular spinning drive that comes in the macbooks?

    Thank you,
  6. MH01 Suspended


    Feb 11, 2008
    Also, when you say new apple monitor, if you mean the new 24" LED, that will not work with the MBA rev A. You need the new display port to run one.
  7. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2007
    When you say PATA, that is an interface, not a type of drive. For instance Rev A came with 80GB PATA HDD and 64GB PATA SDD. The Rev B comes with 120GB SATA HDD and 128GB SATA SDD.

    So the MBA Rev A 80GB has a spinning drive and so does the MBA Rev B 120GB....but its a smaller (1.8") spinning drive as compared to the Macbook (2.5") spinning drive.

  8. descartes macrumors 6502

    Apr 24, 2006
    presumably an adaptor will be available shortly. hvr, not sure if the other features like power, usb, isight will work.
  9. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 13, 2007
    so it pata worse?

    Should I go with rev A and save 500?
  10. 6SSD4 macrumors member

    Nov 30, 2008
    I can't see how it's only a $500 save.
    In Norway it's 21000kr vs 15000kr which means a $900 save.
    For 900 bucks you can get some stuff I think you'll be more pleased with than the upgrade. Your choise though. The rev. B is better, but you have to consider how much the better performence upgrade is worth to you.
  11. NYU02 thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 13, 2007
    I was thinking about getting a rev A to run around with and an iMac in January after they upgrade (hopefully) for my home.
  12. 6SSD4 macrumors member

    Nov 30, 2008
    Sounds like a nice idea. I'm as mentioned getting the 64GB SSD for christmas.
    There is no way I'm paying or getting that amount of money for a pc.
    The rev. A I think will suite you well. I just hope we both gets one with no core shut downs ect. First thing to do is to instal coolbook.

    Good luck with you choise.
  13. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a


    Feb 6, 2007
    I got the new MBA rev b with the 128 GB SSD. Love it. No issues with the screen on mine. Yeah, it was pricey, but I just felt a 64 GB drive wouldn't cut it.
  14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Feb 17, 2008
    I would seriously consider a new Aluminium Macbook.

    Its considerably faster and cheaper, and would allow you to buy it with the new display. Its only 1.5lb heavier.

Share This Page