MBA Rev A w/runcore boot issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Phibar, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Phibar macrumors newbie

MY apologies first off that 1) i'm not a MAC person 2) I've searched the forums but have not found this particular issue yet, so i hope its not a repost.

The CEO of the company I work for asked me to restore a REV A MBA to working order I installed the Runcore drive for the particular model and was able to install the OS. However every other time it reboots I recieve a folder icon with a question mark. I can turn it off and reboot and it comes back up fine. Then I reboot and I get the icon once again. I've tried multiple ZIF cables with the same result, and an identical model machine. I've reinstalled the OS with same result. I was hoping for a firmware upgrade but it seems I already have the latest. I also bought this SSD over a year ago I believe and the issue was tabled until now due to workload. If anyone has any ideas on what else I can try I'd love to see them. Thanks ahead of time.

MBA details:
    Model # MB003LL/A
    Runcore 64G-C rev 2030

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'd start by making sure the right device is set up as the default startup disk. This is one case where zapping PRAM might actually help, and then make sure that the Runcore SSD is selected as the Startup Disk in System Preferences.

B

3. Phibar thread starter macrumors newbie

I was really hopeful but it still has the same issue. If it starts up from being off it works great. If I reboot I get the folder icon. Thank you for the idea though. If it was my own machine I might be able to deal with this sort of thing but I cant hand it back to the CEO like this.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You might get more control over the boot process with rEFIt.

It's worth a shot.

B

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Go to :apple:—>System Preferences—>Startup Disk

Choose the system partition you want to automatically reboot into and select "Restart". It should boot correctly now.

If you need a visual~

Click the little :apple: on the top left of your screen and select "System Preferences"
    [​IMG]

Click on "Startup Disk" (You do not have to search, I simply did it to help illustrate)
    [​IMG]

Choose the startup volume you want to use. Yours would be the OS X partition you just installed.
    [​IMG]

Click on "Restart…" and it should ask for a password (if you have one—if you don't just continue) to continue. It should now reboot correctly.

Now in case you're wondering, the reason it would give you the folder icon with a question mark is previous to this procedure, the computer is searching for the old boot disk on startup and which it cannot find since you replaced the disk with another—it gives you an indication that the previous volume cannot be found (Folder with a question mark). This procedure tells the system there is a new boot volume.

6. Phibar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I actually already did that based on balamw's first reply.

I hope you didnt make those directions just for this. ( Well done if you did). I'm not a MAC guy but I'm probably more familar than an average user with them.

Thanks again.