MBA REV B 1.86 SSD--> Worth the upgrade 2 New?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tigres, Oct 21, 2010.

  1. tigres macrumors 68040

    tigres

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Location:
    Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
    #1
    Knowing all of us followers of this machine, I was actively waiting for this announcement.

    Keeping this simple, I was excited to get 4g ram (finally) and bumped up to a 256gb SSD- so I ordered up yesterday asap.

    However, I am having second thoughts...

    I am losing my backlit keyboard.
    I am losing the sleep indicator.
    I am losing the ir sensor for remote.
    And, from what I am seeing/hearing, the benchmarks are not that stellar as opposed to my current machine.

    I am definitely thinking of canceling my order.

    So my question is, am I alone? I am starting to think the excitement of finally getting 4g of ram got the best of me and my AMEX yesterday.

    Am I off base here?
     
  2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #2
    Ask yourself:

    Do you ever use the backlit keyboard?
    Do you ever use the remote?
    Would you even need a sleep indicator with the new standby mode?
    Does 4GB of RAM, a potentially faster processor and 256GB storage space outweigh these loses?

    Performance wise, I haven't seen benchmarks comparing these Airs to previous Airs but I would guess that pretty much any of the 13" ones will be slightly better performance wise than yours. The 256GB 2.13GHz one certainly should be.

    The backlit keyboard was always something that excited me with Macs but, to be honest, I've never actually had the need to use it. Even on the dimmest screen setting of my MacBook Pro, there's still more than enough light to see all of the keys.

    The loss of the sleep indicator is an inevitability of the new standby mode - basically everything's getting shut off. I'm guessing it's similar to the mode that pre-existing Apple laptops go into if it loses virtually all battery charge whilst in sleep mode (which then resorts to a fairly long restore from sleep process when you attach power and turn it on). There's a chance Apple will take this on to their other laptop lines in the future.

    As far as the remote goes, I've only ever used it with my laptop a couple of times when giving presentations. Considering it's an extra purchase anyway, if I really needed a presentation clicker for regular presentations I would probably just go for a bluetooth one. As it is, half the time I've actually given talks, I've forgotten the remote anyway.
     
  3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

    lulla01

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    Location:
    U.S
  4. ImperialX macrumors 65816

    ImperialX

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #4
    There is no IR sensor, as stated.
     
  5. TheAllStar macrumors member

    TheAllStar

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    #5
    I'm contemplating the same. I've been thinking about a MBA. For me, it looks like this:

    I want a backlit keyboard.
    I don't need the IR sensor since I switched to the Remote app on my iPhone.
    I love the ambient sleep light indicator.
    For my type of work and usage, I don't need 4GB, and it really doesn't tip the scales that much.

    It's looking like a refurb 2.13GHz is gonna be the winner.
     
  6. epictempo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2008
    #6
    Doesn't seem like much of an improvement spec wise, but you do get an SD slot. I'm on the same boat, don't know if I can give up back-lit black keys (not so bad when they were white). Don't mean to be rude, but its losing instead of loosing.
     
  7. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

    tigres

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Location:
    Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
    #7

    No worries, good catch on my poor spelling
     
  8. Moodikar macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #8
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    I've sold my MBA 2.13ghz 2 wks ago (luckily). I know that in a way I am downgrading.

    Actually didn't expect anything lower than 2.13ghz since it's been almost 4 years of having the c2d processor and back then it
    was at 2ghz.

    It is a sacrifice but hoping the rest makes up for the less (as I coin the phrase). Better graphics, more memory, ssd (that may be better then the previous) and better battery.

    In the end, it comes done to usability. Until I have it in hand, not sure the sacrifice I'll need to justify. I know I'll love it but did I lose some functionality?!?

    In the end, it's not that expensive as in the past. Worst case is I return it.
     
  9. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

    tigres

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Location:
    Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
    #9
    Thanks for the feedback.

    I need the 4g ram, no question. I ordered the 256hd, as I could use it more due to iDisk being so damn slow for my large pdf's.

    I am just hanging on the backlit keyboard (I use that a lot at night)- Yes I can live w/o the ir and sleep light.

    I will make my decision tomorrow.
     
  10. bossxii macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    Location:
    Kansas City
    #10
    I haven't had a MBA for well over a year. The list of things you will lose vs this list of "gains" or benefits is how I look at it.

    Much better hinge
    Based on several reviews better cooling, silent operation even under load
    Glass trackpad
    BTO for 4 gigs of ram
    Up to 256 Flash memory
    SD card slot
    7 hour battery(I'll go with the assumption it's better than the older model)
    2 USB vs one (not a huge deal for me but to some a bonus)

    IMO these offset pretty much everything it lost in the update. Yes I did enjoy a backlit KB, but the other positives makes me glad I waited vs the REv C. I plan on deciding which model once I can use them both at the local Apple store this weekend.

    Just my 2 cents. :)
     
  11. akm3 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #11
    If you already have a rev B or newer with SSD...I see very little reason to upgrade personally. You've already got similar performance, SSD.

    Unless you really, really need the 11.6" I don't see a value proposition for you.

    If you had the Rev A with a hard drive or something I would suggest you upgrade.
     
  12. gri macrumors 6502a

    gri

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2004
    Location:
    New York City, aka Big Apple
    #12
    Same here, got a rev C (I think, was refurbished in anticipation of an update) with 128 SSD, 1.86 GHz.
    So I would get the bigger RAM and 2x HD which I have hoped for for a long time. But I loose the BL KB, which I really need given the black keys. The incremental value is not so great for me that I jump to buy the new one now. I can wait, try mine at places where I think I need the BL and switch if of and hope for an upgraded version - which brings me basically right back to where I have been all the time... waiting for the upgraded MBA, oh well. Hope its not another 2 years...
     
  13. akm3 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #13
    I would bet money that the Rev.E model adds back in the features it lost like the backlit keys. Waiting is the smart plan if you have a RevB SSD or newer.

    oh wait, I already said that. I need to get off MR.
     
  14. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #14
    Last revision took 500 days. Just a thought.

    FWIW, I find the IR sensor a negative as it means I have to pair my IR sensor to my AppleTV.
     
  15. akm3 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #15
    Yea but Apple is now pricing and marketing this at more of a popular/consumer level. The original Air STARTED at $1799 and never really recovered.

    This one will sell better and consequently they will likely update it more frequently with the macbooks/pros.

    Now, I'm obviously speculating and don't know anything, just a gut feeling.
     
  16. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2004
    #16
    I agree with this... I have a RevB 1.6Ghz, but with SSD and I'm on the fence. Waiting to see the 11" in person to see if I fall in love or not.

    But my thought/hope is that in Summer 2011, all of the MacBooks will get an upgrade to Sandy Bridge -- which is finally an Intel IGP that can compete with the Nvidia/ATI stuff.

    Seriously, this Intel/Nvidia fight has really hurt us Apple customers - as we want lean, svelte devices which don't have room for Discrete Graphics! :D
     
  17. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

    tigres

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Location:
    Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
    #17
    Well, I sold my Rev B on Ebay (actually got the reserve). I thought it may not sell, and I was prepared to back off today, and cancel my BTO. Too late now, I am getting the 13" maxed out.

    I hope I enjoy it as much as this baby, because it's really the only Mac I will truly miss. If it were not for the lack of ram for my needs, I would not have given it a second thought w/keeping it.

    I know I will miss the BL keyboard, but I trust I will gain some better performance w/ the new machine.

    Lastly (as a rant) I am done with Ebay and PP. They are pulling this hold my money garbage for up to 21 days. Now granted I don't sell and buy a lot, but I have a 100% feedback score w/11 year history. I'm so pissed at those crooks. /rant.

    Either way, it looks like I will get it by the 28th or so, and be without this for a couple days.

    I hope I made the right decision- right now I am not so sure. Have not even seen one yet, as my local store does not even have them.
     
  18. nik911sc macrumors member

    nik911sc

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    #18
    My take as a ready to buy my first MBA

    I don't own a MBA but was waiting for the refresh but now it's been released I am very disappointed.

    No upgrade in processor is very lame.

    To get the 2.13 in a 13" means you have to get the 256gb option as you cannot upgrade the processor with the 128gb option. I would have been more than happy with 128gb option.

    RAM standard at 2gb is ordinary and although it's $100 for the 4gb option it's A$150 down under which is rude given our currency here is at parity with the US$. Feeling ripped off again.

    Losing the backlight keyboard just seems backward.

    The only upside appears to be the glass trackpad and a more updated (hooray I finally found an improvement in performance) graphics card.

    The one thing I would have bet money on was the inclusion of a SIM tray for 3G data but that's probably slated for 2012/3. So much for being a true road warrior.

    The upshot for me is NO DEAL and that is from an Apple diehard that doesn't have a MBA and has been patiently waiting for the right time to take the plunge. Offer a product worth getting and I am in.

    So if I had a MBA then I would definitely not be upgrading.
     

Share This Page