MBA right for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MuttonFlanks, Feb 27, 2008.

1. MuttonFlanks macrumors newbie

I've been losing sleep and going back and forth countless times trying to decide on a MacBook to buy. Ideally, I would have liked a MacBook with the MBP's specs (LED screen, backlit keys, new touchpad, dedicated gfx, etc.) because I prefer how the MB's look. But after reading about a potential June update again for both the MB and MBPs, I thought I would just skip it and get the MBA for now.

I have two PCs at home and I haven't had an Apple since the Apple IIc lol. I don't really *need* a laptop per se but I kind of just want one to play around with, so I figure the MBA would fit nicely and be a good compromise for the features I want. I won't be doing any gaming as I have my PCs for that, just surfing the net, chatting, some light work in Excel and Word as it will come in handy when I have to travel a few times a year.

Just want get the opinion of people here if my reasoning makes sense. And what are the chances of a MBA update happening along in June? Will Montevina affect the Merom processor used in the Air? Or maybe the Air will switch to Penryn?

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I believe a MBA would be a fine first Mac for you, given what you have described. My wife has one and its not exactly a low-powered computer, it handles everything she throws at it.

3. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

4. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

Seems like a great fit for you! It's a cool gadget and it gets the job done.

I think it'll be a LONG while before we see the next rev MBA. My guess would be around 3G iPhone time.

5. MuttonFlanks thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I am not up to date on Apple news, but isn't the 3G iPhone supposed to be sometime around the middle of this year?

6. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

My post is based off a fall estimate. If in fact 3G iPhone gets a summer release than I definitely would say a new rev MBA would happen a significant time AFTER the iPhone release.

7. MuttonFlanks thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, gotcha. Hopefully I won't feel like the speed is too slow given the 1.6/1.8 CPU and 4200RPM hard disk.

8. johnkountz Guest

johnkountz

Get a refurb MacBook

What's the point of spending $1700 + shipping and sales tax for a machine you are not sure you will like and which you will use for light computing. Save the money, buy a refurbished MacBook and rest assured that:

A) You saved a bunch of cash
    B) You will have an excellent laptop that will serve your needs for years
    C) If you decide 6 months or a year from now to upgrade, you will be able to get top $ selling your MacBook.

I own 2 MacBook's, a MacBook Pro, iMac, and an Air. Every one of them is a great machine.

9. MuttonFlanks thread starter macrumors newbie

What can I say... I'm a whore for looks :p

I can never buy anything refurbished, not sure why but that's just me. As for the MacBook, I'd buy a new one but I really want the LED screen, touchpad, and backlit keyboard :(

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think it'll be when Intel tells Apple that they need to upgrade all their computers to new CPUs because they're going to stop making the older ones. ;) That'll be in half a year, tops. ;)