MBA rumored Q1 will MBP be bumped to Q2? thoughts...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philio32383, Nov 28, 2011.

  1. philio32383 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    #1
    I'm thinking Apple will hold off and release the MBP in Q2. My understanding is that the Ivy will draw less power increasing battery life so I wouldn't be surprised if the MBA's came out right after the Ivy's, or even the day of (see: thunderbolt) But I don't know if apple would do a major update on two of their big sellers in the same Quarter (MBA 15" and a form factor change for the MBP's). Tim Cook seems more like a "let's keep our quarters even" type of guy, that Jobs never really was. I would also see them doing the MBA's first, because that's the ad funding. Most of Apples' funding runs, iPhone, iPad, MBA, iPod, and then the rest, and even the iPod is moving into the funding realm of "and then the rest". Apple is smart with that. Get them into the company with iPad/iPhone, and now you have a customer for life (see: camel advertising/nicotine). That's how they got me!
     
  2. tim100 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #2
    does this rumor suggest that maybe the macbook pro will not get a redesign? the air gives you the ultra thin no moving parts and the pro keeps the current design. How about the optical drive will apple remove it from the pro? When I read the article I though the air line is expanding and the pro is staying the same. Could apple from a pro line and an air line with 3 notebooks in each? Maybe apple will dump the 13 mbp. I think apple likes the current design of its notebooks.
     
  3. Swain macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2011
    #3
    Some remarks.

    I believe the release was already scheduled for Q2 before the MBA 15" was announced. This is because their chips (Ivy Bridge) wont come out during Q1.

    IMO the announcement of the 15" MBA did nothing. The big date-changing factor is the chips.
     
  4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #4
    Ahem . . . when did Apple announce a 15" MBA?

    Lots of reports and rumors . . . nothing from the horse's mouth yet.
     
  5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #5
    So, the most recent Ivy Bridge news is that the chipset is delayed until april. If the Q1 rumor for the Air is true, this could mean that the new Air won't get the ivy bridge chips yet. Some people have pointed out before that the MBP is first in line for the ivy bridges.

    Now, it makes sense for apple to update the Air in Q1. A bunch of competing Ultrabooks are expected for Q1 2012, and Apple must stay competitive in this new market.

    Based on the rumors, I now expect a spec bump for the Air together with the introduction of the Sandy Bridge based 15'' Air in Q1.

    The Pro update can be as late as Mai/June/July. The current models are relatively up to date, and a few extra month gives apple time for SSD prices to come down and to iron out a few Ivy bugs. At that point Apple might be able to offer the base MBP with 128 GB and the high end with 256 GB of SSD storage. We might also see a redesign, but probably no drastic one.
     
  6. Swain macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2011
    #6
    I jumped the gun a little. Meant rumored. Even though I made a small mistake, my point is still standing.
     

Share This Page