MBA screaming beeep~~~!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by silverblack, Jun 14, 2008.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It did that again yesterday. I think it's the 2nd or 3rd time in the 3 months I owe my MBA. It literately sounded like the computer was screaming in pain with a long beep. Lasted for about two seconds, it didn't follow with any hard drive clicks this time though. Just the beeping tone.

The computer was sitting on my desk, idle at the moment. Nothing was loading in Safari. I was actually just doing something else at the moment, not actually working on the computer. So it's not something that I did to cause that.

I realized there was a post about this earlier, but no one seemed to know exactly what happened. MBA seems to be working fine otherwise. I wanted to revisit the issue, and see if anyone else is still experiencing this regularly.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=430920

2. JasO macrumors regular

Mine has done this a few times as well...don't have a clue what it is. However when i went to put it on the floor the other day with the screen open it made the noise again, making me think maybe it was that motion sensor stuff for the hard drive to stop when its falling? i thought that was in the iPods, not sure if its in the MBA though...

3. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

I've never heard this sound, but the MBA does have a SMS (sudden motion sensor) so this is at least plausible.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you abuse your computer? Maybe your computer is failing? Get it checked out...

5. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

All the time when it heard the sound, my MBA was sitting on the desk untouched. No movement at all.

I babied my MBA, did nothing out of ordinary beyond the day-to-day use. There's no point bring it to the store, as I can't reproduce a random problem.

6. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Mine JUST did this exact thing. As u described. Screaming noise from the speaker. 2 seconds.

7. archi17 macrumors regular

just scream back at it when it screams at you. It will soon learn who is boss here

8. King t. macrumors regular

i haven't heard any beep either yet, I think you should call apple support ;)

9. nathans89 macrumors newbie

Its 'Normal'

many have reported this (check other threads), mine does it and others tend to agree that its an HDD calibration. The motion sensor causes a quiet 'click' sound as the arm is retracted from the disk. YOUR HDD IS FINE!

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

This only happens after downloading a lot of pr0n. :p

11. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

have you checked the system logs about the time of the incident? That might reveal something?

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

No, it's been posted here repeatedly. An anomaly no one really knows why it happens or what it means. It sounds like a warning tone that some were thinking was the hard drive. It's one of the mysteries of the Air. Mines done it twice for no specific reason or resulted in any consequences. Just sitting there... BEEEEPPPP. Done and business as usual. Youtube has a vid. of one doing it.

13. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

wierd - if mine does it ill take a gander - no noises yet (11 weeks old)