MBA screen replacement Apple Care

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bender644, Jan 22, 2012.

1. bender644 macrumors member

Hello,

I was just at the Apple store today and one of my issues on my MBA is that I can see a couple of, what seem to be, pressure lines almost like the metal part between the trackpad and keyboard is making contact.

The Apple store 'genius' said he would be able to get my Mac fixed for a new screen replacement. I told him I'd think about it (take about a week) and get back to them.

He made it seem like it's a very simple and easy procedure, showing me how the screws on the back pop off. What I didn't get was, how this was connected to the screen at all since the screen (or display, however one wishes to refer to it) is on the top part of the laptop, not the bottom.

The only rationale I have is that they don't replace the screen itself but rather the *whole* top cover including the Mac logo that lights up. Is this correct? Otherwise I can't think of how they'd do it.

If that's the case, I may do it. Otherwise, I may just live with it for I don't want one thing to cause a problem elsewhere.

Many thanks for your comments.

Bender

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If you've ever seen a teardown of a MacBook Air screen, I really wouldn't advise trying to do it yourself. Particularly if it's still under warranty.

3. bender644 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, I never alluded to trying to do it myself. The Apple store will do it for me, under warranty.

So, is it the screen of the whole top cover (with the screen) that gets replaced? If it's the latter, then I don't think it's a complicated procedure and I may get them to do it. On the plus side, I'll have a new cover if that's the case.

Thanks.

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I had a similar issue, the screen was scratched from the aluminum edges between the keyboard and trackpad. They told me they could either replace the entire top half of the clamshell, or give me a new computer entirely. I chose the latter.

5. Oli3000 macrumors regular

They replaced mine, which was indeed the screen and casing as one unit.

Didn't cause any problems.

Since then have had the screen replaced again for several dead pixels (grrr).

But yeah, they are very good at what they do!

6. bender644 thread starter macrumors member

Great. Well, I don't have any scratched just the marks which look to be from pressure. I'm not sure.

Either way, if they replace the whole top cover of the clamshell, I think there's no reason for me to say no. Hope I don't get any more issues (like dead pixels) but if I do I'm sure they'll fix it.

Thanks for the comments and I'll go ahead and do it.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Before going ahead with it, think about what will you do if this happens again. If the pressure marks got there once, they will get there again. Are you going to have the screen replaced every few months for the life of the computer?

8. bender644 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. You're right and I have thought about it. It doesn't look like the screen makes contact with it as I looked very carefully upon closing it. However, it is clear that the two marks are taking the shape (one short representing the top of the trackpad and one long representing the long line underneath the space bar) of the bottom casing. I'm really not sure what is causing it, but I will point it out tomorrow when I pay them another visit.

9. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

yup, they replace the whole top including the metal part. imagine trying to align the lcd unit to the metal surround. pain.

10. bender644 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I wasted my time going there today. Told them I spoke to the guy yesterday and that I decided to go ahead with it. Twenty minutes later I get the paperwork with an amount of 510 bucks. Was told these types of things aren't covered by warranty. It's funny how the fellow acted all nonchalant like I was going to look at the paper and say "Oh yea man, man, totally, how do I pay?"

It's clearly a design flaw cause I take SUCH good care of my stuff. In a case and the case in this bubble envelope. I use a ShaggyMac screen protector now. I can live with; don't have time to waste going from Apple store to Apple store hoping to get lucky.

I've been using Apples my whole life, and though I love them and wouldn't use anything else, the perfection of the Apple store and the way they talk to you kind of creeps me out. They're all so 'cool' and perfect at the same time, I just find the whole store futuristic and somehow overly controlling. Not sure if that makes any sense, but that's my rant.

@oneMadRssn: I looked at my screen and it DOES have little scratch marks from the aluminum, just like you. Looks like you got lucky and got a new Mac altogether.

11. D-Love macrumors regular

Apple replaced my broken MBA screen as well, even though they weren't obligated to. Huge sigh of relief here. lol

12. bender644 thread starter macrumors member

What happened to it (your screen)?

Also, if I have time I'd consider going to another Apple store...but would they not see it in my file that I've already visited another one? If so, it'll just be a waste of time.

Yea, it looks like it's all just luck.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Correct, the other store would be able to see each of your visits regarding your Air, and the case notes left by the people that had worked with you.

14. K701 macrumors newbie

I had the same thing on my 6 month old air. I really take care of it so it wasn't from misuse. I got mine exchanged, though had to be persistent. They offered to replace the screen but getting back and forth to the store would be a hassle.

The Air flexes more than a regular notebook, so such wear lines are inevitable unless you protect it. I ordered a thing to sit between the keyboard and screen (really thin so hinges are not affected). These should come with Airs.

As to whether the warranty covers such damage seems to be down to the disgresion of the Genius. I don't agree that this is normal wear as the two parts should not touch.

15. bill-p macrumors 65816

If you have placed the Macbook Air inside a stuffy bag or anything with slight pressure, the stuffs inside can press against the screen, which... as I found to my horror at some point, actually wasn't as solid as previous MacBooks, and it would flex at any point. I think what happened was that something pressed against your Air and compressed the screen against the keyboard and touchpad, causing the marks. I ended up using a hard shell case, which was thankfully hard enough to not allow the screen to flex under such conditions.

16. bender644 thread starter macrumors member

I absolutely agree that this is not regular wear. I take really good care of it. I guess I just don't have the energy in me to go and argue with people.

I was told "Keep an eye out on Apple support. If they notice this to be a regular issue, they'll allow for it to be fixed under warranty."

Given that they'll be able to see each of my visits to the store, I stand little chance of anything getting done. I'll have to just keep using my screen protector that I bought to go between the screen and the keyboard. Thankfully the marks are only visible when the screen is off and I look carefully. The lines on the display are only visible when it's dark (and more emphasized when looked at from an angle).

Design flaw, that's for sure, but I can live with it.

I must say that over the years (having been a life-time Apple owner) I've never been lucky with their warranty stuff.

17. minnus, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

minnus macrumors 6502

I have probably been to the Apple store around 15 times since I bought my Air for the screen reason (whether to have them repair it, or to retrieve it after a repair). Waste of time IMO.

Now I use a Kabuto Mouse Mat to place between the screen and the keyboard, and no more issues.

18. bender644 thread starter macrumors member

Waste of time indeed. Screen protector is the best solution, which should come with it!

Thanks for the comments.