MBA SD card slot // i7 and batter life

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pmuenks, Jul 30, 2012.

1. pmuenks macrumors newbie

I'm preparing to purchase a new MacBook and have a few questions.

For a little background, I'm a casual user in the sense that I don't run any games or intensive programs. In addition to web suffering and office related tasks, I do some photo editing and video editing but have been using iPhoto and iMovie which have been working fine for my needs. I do travel quite a bit (5 - 10 days a month during the academic year) and may or may not have access to an outlet (meaning I value battery life). Additionally, I have close to 115 GB worth of media files.

Does anyone have experience using the SD card slot for additional storage? In the same vein, what are the upper levels of storage one can find for an SD card? While I'm going to have an external storage drive, my thought is that if the storage capacity is high enough on compatible SD cards, then I could get a stationary external storage drive as opposed to a portable one.

When I purchased my last laptop, it was back in August of 2008 (15 inch MBP, 2.5 GHz, 4 GB, 256 GB). Its been a great work horse for the past four years and I would like to get at least two if not three years out of my MBA.

According, is it worth the upgrade to move from the i5 to the i7? As a follow up, does anyone know what, if any, impact upgrading to an i7 will have on batter life?

Thank you.

2. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Check this out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive

I backed that to get one for me and my fiancé, will hopefully arrive by november and then I'll get a 64 GB (or 128 if class 10 are released) to keep in it 24/7.