MBA should I buy or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abirozy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. abirozy macrumors newbie

Hello

I would like some advice on buying the MBA. I have read all the reviews and feel I would like the MBA. I currently have a toshiba 1.6ghz with 2mb of ram but my wife bought a MB earlier and it runs a lot better and more intuitively than my pc. I am a law student and the specs on the MBA seem like they would fit me fine. I was thinking of the 1.8 with the HHD. This configuration is available online and is A LOT cheaper than the SSD.

1) would this be considered a "first gen" model and as such should I wait for the bugs to get worked out?

2) What is everyones feeling on if mac is quickly going to come out with a more updated MBA?

I.E. Should I buy the mba now or wait 6 months to make sure the bugs get worked out and see if apple ups the specs?

Thanks for helping a newbie

Adam

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

As a law student, have you verified that all the software you will need is OSX compatible? If so, buy it, why not?

3. T-Stex macrumors 6502

The MBA came out less than a week ago. You'll be safe from updates for a few months. However, they're always going to be coming out with something updated, new, and better. Basically, if you need a new computer now and you think the MBA suits you well, go for it.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

5. schreck macrumors regular

Couldn't have said it any better. If the MBA will do what you want it to do and do it well, then brilliant. Let us know what you decide to do.

6. yodermk macrumors member

My vote is ... yes, it's a first gen model. In a month or two we'll get a good sense of whether there are defects or not, and some may be fixed by a later manufacturing run, sort of like the first 15" Macbook Pros had "mooing" symptoms, even without an official "update."

There's a good review of the MBA here:
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4238

In short, unless you really need a computer that thin, I think the regular Macbook is a much better value all around.