MBA shows wrong storage available?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lavudyar, Aug 11, 2015.

1. lavudyar macrumors newbie

lavudyar

Been looking all over, and can't seem to find my specific issue. I've seen lots of threads where the Finder is showing more storage than is even available on the HD when empty. Mine seems to be the opposite. My MBA thinks there is 80GB+ on the disk, but when adding up the sub-folders it's nowhere near that. I've turned TM off and removed the snapshots, which seemed to solve a lot of other folks' problems, but not mine. Need some help here please.

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 4.50.13 PM.png

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Notice that your screen shot does not show one of the major folders inside your home folder
    The "Library" in your user folder is hidden by default.
    That is likely where the bulk of your "missing" files are located.
    You can easily view that folder from the Go menu in the Finder. Hold the option key while the Go menu is open. You'll see it there.

3. lavudyar thread starter macrumors newbie

lavudyar

Doh! Thanks! Now, what can I delete out of that without screwing everything up?

4. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The folder in your user Library that is easiest to trash is the Caches folder. It can sometimes accumulate several GB.

6. lavudyar thread starter macrumors newbie

lavudyar

Found that Mobile Sync had about 20GB in it. Freed up enough space to get my video loaded so that I can work on it. Thanks!