MBA -- slightly different keyboard feel than MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dagdagdag234, Sep 24, 2014.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Just bought a MBA 11", which I'm really enjoying. The portability trade off vs screen size is very workable for me.

But I have noticed a slightly different feel to the keyboard on my 2014 Air 11" and my previous MacBook Pro 2009 edition.

Am I imagining this or is there a difference? The keys feel a little bit shallower.

Or is it just the slanted-ness and thinness of the keyboard section that is making it feel different?

2. AtomicGrog macrumors regular

I got a late 2012 (purchase time-frame not model label) 13" MBP for my daughter and then late 2013 a 13" MBA for my son. Both are for school usage... I wanted different models to assure they next get mixed up.

Cant honestly say I've noticed much of a difference in terms of keyboard difference... than again I'd also argue the difference in weight is also marginal.

3. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I agree there is a difference. The travel distance on the Air is slightly less I would say. Overall I prefer the feel of the MBP keyboard but the difference is not big.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

I went from a 2010 MBA to a 2014 model. The keyboard feel is different... the new keys feel a little stiffer to me and it feels like they're almost sticking sometimes (but they don't stick). I think the difference is probably the backlighting system?

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes there is a difference. As stated, the key travel is less on the Air and the keys on the pro feel more springy whereas the Air feel flatter. It is just a matter of preference which feels better. I have a pro but actually prefer the Air's keyboard.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Yes - I feel a difference in keyboard touch between my 2013 MBA and late 2011 MBP. I also prefer the feel of the MBA.

7. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

these were helpful answers, thanks. I had to look up keyboard travel, wasn't familiar with the term. Am still getting adjusted to the 11 air keyboard but it's nice, not bad. The MacBook pro had my favorite keyboard ever and I did use it for five years so probably two days isn't enough time to adjust to the new one.