Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I've had my MBA for a few days now and I'm liking it a lot. One problem I've noticed, however, is that it doesn't connect to the network as fast as my old iBook.

The MBA wakes from sleep right away, but then takes a good 10 or 15 seconds to connect to the network. The iBook G4 connected right away.

Then, after connected, it takes another 15-30 seconds to find my iTunes libraries and remote speakers.

I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but when entertaining I used to be able to pop open my computer and have music going in a matter of a few seconds. Now it can take a minute or more, which is the difference between a smooth hosting experience and an embarrassing struggle with technology.

Anyone else notice this problem? Any solutions?

aussieinrome

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
Rome, Italy.
I've noticed odd network connection times too. Only at my office though, at home it's instant. It could be an airport issue. At home I've got the time capsule at work some sort of air port - not so new.

wordy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Toronto
Think this could be a combination of the HDD loading the file it writes all the info to prior to sleep (it's very large), and an existing Airport issue, which they claim to have resolved in developer releases of 10.5.3.

Suncusser

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
MBA slow at connecting to wifi

I know this is an old thread but I've got OS 10.5.5 on my MBA and it still seems to be an issue. When I put my old Powerbook to sleep and wake it, it reacquires the wifi connection in about half a second. When I put the MBA asleep and wake it it takes upwards of 20 seconds of searching to reacquire the connection on my home network. On some days it seems to take several minutes to find a connection that the powerbook sees immediately. Both computers have my home network as a preferred network but on occasion the MBA tells me that none of my preferred networks are available. The router does have a MAC address filter to keep out the rifraf. Anybody solved this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.