MBA Small Defect

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tehsprayer, Jul 16, 2013.

1. tehsprayer macrumors member

I could take a v ideo but it may be hard to capture the noise as it is off and on and minimal and not worth sending in for.

My hinge, the black plastic piece on the back seems to be somewhat loose...a little wiggle not very much. I think this causes the laptop to make a small creaking, rubbing noise when opening the laptop and sometimes closing. It's not a huge deal but was wondering if it will go away in time, or a fix for this happening.

2. ryan2385 macrumors newbie

Mine makes a VERY slight creak noise when opening. I mean you really need to listen for it. However, my hinge feels extremely sturdy and tight. It actually might be making that creak when opening because its too tight . You sure its loose?

3. tehsprayer thread starter macrumors member

glad to know its just not me. I think it is a little loose, I can wiggle it a bit but it's still snug but it would make more sense in your case about making the creak being it being too tight rather than too loose.

4. tehsprayer thread starter macrumors member

5. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

I would return it.

Why? Because the hinge is under friction (you said, it makes noises), and with time, you will build-up thousands of cycles (open and close) and due to the friction, the hinge has the possibility of becoming loose and you may end up having a screen that is falling all the time.

As a matter of practicality, the sounds will go away with time, because the surfaces that are creating the friction will degrade by the rubbing (the friction itself).

This is my engineering point of view, please make note I said "may" and didn't say that "will" happen. But, if that were my MBA, I wouldn't take any chances.