MBA Special - why should I

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by justit, Nov 16, 2008.

1. justit macrumors 6502a

You've probably seen this, It got me thinking at this price, what does an extra $600 for a comparable MBA2 get me? Is the Nvidia really worth the price difference?

[​IMG]

2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

45nm processor, lower TDP, less fan use, newer graphics processor, new display port.

3. CoreyMac macrumors regular

$600 more =

Four-Finger Touch, 45-nm Cooler CPU, 9400M GPU, Faster System Bus, Faster DDR3 RAM, SATA hard drive....which also is a larger hard drive at that......

then the intangibles, no core shut downs, no overheating, more comfortable on the lap, and the ability to play videos without stutter....

you'd be raping your wallet if you bought that over the Rev. B.

4. justit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I should have stated that I'm looking more for real world intangibles as specs are specs. So if Rev A had overheats and core shut downs, does using a $10 CoolBook truly manage the problem for REV A?

I'm in agreement that REV B is better than a REV A, but I'm asking if the improvement is worth spending the extra $600. I'm also keeping my macbook.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Yes, Rev B is better then Rev A. There's your answer. The other users pointed out why its better. If you don't want to spend the extra money, then don't. We can't tell you what to buy, we can only give you advice.

The answer is, no, Coolbook will work to a certain point. There is many issues on the rev A that rev B has fixed. Almost all rev A products have many odd issues that new models dont have.

6. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Read all the Rev A problem threads. Some people have had absolutely no problems; some want smash their Rev A because of the core shutdowns. Personally, I'd go for the Rev B for the improvements... But no one can answer this except you. It's your wallet and your choice.

7. McGilli macrumors 6502

If you just want to surf the web - and check some email and forums - then get the Rev A. you said you are keeping your other macbook laptop - so - if this is just a secondary machine you are looking for then save the money and get the Rev A on sale.

If you want it for anything more than casual surfing - go Rev B.

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I too debated between the Rev. A and Rev. B

At the end of the day, I wanted a computer that I could use without compromises. No point saving $600 if it's gonna suffer core shutdowns half the time rendering it unusable.

At the end of the day it's really up to you. Maybe get a Rev. A and try it for two weeks and see if there are any problems

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Extremely pleased with the Rev A here. I use Coolbook for the incremental power savings and cooler operating temps. I am however moving to the Rev B with SSD and giving this to a family member.

10. iPhonePhan macrumors regular

^^^ What he said! LoL

11. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

less headaches then the first air, second is much better.