MBA squeaky keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by blow45, Jan 31, 2012.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

prev. gen mba 11". Anyone has a squeaky keys issue? Hate the way they squeak when I type on them. can I spray something on them or something to stop this? The arch squeaker and offender is the space key!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Take it in to Apple to get it fixed if it bothers you.

3. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

I took you out of ignore, after pondering on it for a few days, just cause maybe for a change you'd contribute something and without aggro... my bad...:rolleyes: the "take it to apple to get it fixed if it bothers you", "contact apple if you have a problem" lines can apply to at least 75% of the threads here, there wouldn't be forums if anyone who asked what others have done for an issue, or others experiences, or solutions, or simple pointers, or anything got a contact apple support instead...

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's under warranty, is it not? If it is, why wouldn't you take it to Apple (i.e. the people that will likely fix it for free with no questions asked)? Was it just too obvious of a solution for you?

5. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

Yup agreed the reason the answer 75% of the time is to take it into apple, that's because it's the correct and most logical thing to do.

6. blow45, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

@miles
    No it wasn't too obvious, it was a very ingenious solution and we are all idiots for not thinking this immediately whenever any issue arises, instead of posting here for other people's comments and experiences, to find out if others have had the same problem, if they have already found a way around it, if it's frequent or for a multitude of other reasons people post here to share and hear of other people's queries, issues, and solutions before going to apple. And obviously computers are always so well behaved, glitch free and bug free, that had we all just gone to apple instead immediately we wouldn't be spending about a quarter of our lives either on phone support or with the computer on a repairs bench.

nope I didn't say 75% of the time the answer is take it to apple, I said in 75% of threads such an answer would have applied had there not been a case to be made for forums where people share experiences and help without taking it in to apple. If people routinely replied take it in to apple or ask apple support instead there would be no fora, they are here because people like to share, discuss, ask for comments, report issues, seek advice regardless of official apple support. Nice try to put words in my mouth though and then answer to these words instead of what I said. :)

7. Ben Kitchen macrumors newbie

I also have a Macbook Air. This does not sound like a problem with the Macbook Air. This sounds like you spilled or got something in your keyboard. I doubt that Apple would cover that. There are ways to take off each key, clean them and put them back, but it is a big pain. There are youtube videos on it. I would still take it to apple first to see what they say.

8. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I noticed my Command key clicks weirdly, if that makes any sense. It's like the key isn't placed properly, and there's this extra weird click feeling to it. It happens on an iMac keyboard at work too. Strange.

But my keys do not squeak.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You have the advice you need, but seem to not want to take it because of bias against the source. It's your choice if you want to keep living with your squeaky keys - you have the information you need as far as how to solve your problem definitively.

10. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks guys! Not spilled anything but I am working on a humid place, maybe that has made it worse? Who knows... It's what onthecouchagain describes...strange.

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Tolerate the strangeness or take it in to get checked. Personally I'd take it in before I started messing with it - even if it was out of warranty.

But hey, obviously you don't abide by the "take it in" advice.

And over the years I have read it a lot here - BUT, it's related to the fact that people are trying to fix something themselves that is covered. Why not use that coverage?!?!

Good luck, I have wonky keyboard issues with my MBP since it was replaced after they broke a key during a logic board replacement.