MBA SSDs Used To Capacity

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is probably a bit of a newbie question but:

Do Macbook Air SSDs have the same issue of slowing down once they reach capacity? I don't know if the speeds on the new models make any difference on that end, but I'd like to get the 128 GB model if I can. At the same time, I'd hate to freak out about the idea of going under 40GB free space in fear of slowing down the computer. Either way, I'd probably just use a portable hard drive if it came to it, but I just think it'd be good to know these things.

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Whether it be a HDD or SSD, it's not a good idea to max out the storage on your internal drive. OS X needs space for caches, logs, app work space, paging, etc. You should always keep at least 10-20% of your drive space free, for good performance.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Whether it be a HDD or SSD, it's not a good idea to max out the storage on your internal drive. OS X needs space for caches, logs, app work space, paging, etc. You should always keep at least 10-20% of your drive space free, for good performance.
So on the new MBA with a 128 GB HD, you probably shouldn't go under 25 GB or so?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So on the new MBA with a 128 GB HD, you probably shouldn't go under 25 GB or so?
That would be good planning. It also allows things to grow a bit and gives you space to add more stuff until you can offload something to an external drive.

I always recommend that people look at what applications they want to install. Some of them are fairly large and may indicate a 256GB SSD would be the wise choice.

Also consider fully removing Garageband, iMovie and even iPhoto if you're not going to use them. That will free up a decent chunk of disk space.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
I'm running with 12GB free on a 128 GB SSD and not having issues. Was recording 2 audio tracks through Logic last night and it worked *shrug*. I've been down as low as 5GB but that's usually after downloading all the iOS dev updates and before I move the installers/dmg files.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
That would be good planning. It also allows things to grow a bit and gives you space to add more stuff until you can offload something to an external drive.

I always recommend that people look at what applications they want to install. Some of them are fairly large and may indicate a 256GB SSD would be the wise choice.

Also consider fully removing Garageband, iMovie and even iPhoto if you're not going to use them. That will free up a decent chunk of disk space.
monolingual ftw!

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I'm not sure it's a win. If you remove the wrong thing, OS X updates can have issues. Also how little space are you really talking about?
a couple gigs. and it's pretty simple - hard to imagine "removing the wrong thing?"