MBA SSDs Used To Capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by peglegjack, Jun 13, 2013.

1. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

This is probably a bit of a newbie question but:

Do Macbook Air SSDs have the same issue of slowing down once they reach capacity? I don't know if the speeds on the new models make any difference on that end, but I'd like to get the 128 GB model if I can. At the same time, I'd hate to freak out about the idea of going under 40GB free space in fear of slowing down the computer. Either way, I'd probably just use a portable hard drive if it came to it, but I just think it'd be good to know these things.

Thanks

2. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Is this well worn territory? And if so can someone point me to the thread explaining this?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whether it be a HDD or SSD, it's not a good idea to max out the storage on your internal drive. OS X needs space for caches, logs, app work space, paging, etc. You should always keep at least 10-20% of your drive space free, for good performance.

4. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

So on the new MBA with a 128 GB HD, you probably shouldn't go under 25 GB or so?

5. Bear macrumors G3

That would be good planning. It also allows things to grow a bit and gives you space to add more stuff until you can offload something to an external drive.

I always recommend that people look at what applications they want to install. Some of them are fairly large and may indicate a 256GB SSD would be the wise choice.

Also consider fully removing Garageband, iMovie and even iPhoto if you're not going to use them. That will free up a decent chunk of disk space.

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I'm running with 12GB free on a 128 GB SSD and not having issues. Was recording 2 audio tracks through Logic last night and it worked *shrug*. I've been down as low as 5GB but that's usually after downloading all the iOS dev updates and before I move the installers/dmg files.

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

monolingual ftw!

8. Bear macrumors G3

I'm not sure it's a win. If you remove the wrong thing, OS X updates can have issues. Also how little space are you really talking about?

9. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

a couple gigs. and it's pretty simple - hard to imagine "removing the wrong thing?"