MBA stolen, bought it back on eBay!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Eli727, May 12, 2013.

1. Eli727 macrumors member

Criminals are dumb.

Long story short, my MBA was stolen off my desk at work during business hours by a thief (he was going in all the offices on our street asking if they were "hiring" and then scoping everything out - he went into our side door and ran out with my laptop).

A few days later there was a similar laptop with my exact specs, same dent on the bezel I had, for sale in the same town mine was stolen from.

So I bid on it, made sure I won, and sure enough, on Friday when I received it I was able to confirm the serial number was in fact mine and it was my stolen laptop!

Detective is coming out Monday morning to verify everything, he was aware what I was doing (I asked what he thought of me bidding on what I believed to be my stolen laptop and he said most likely it was mine but couldnt advise me to bid as if it wasnt, I would be out alot of money and there would be nothing he could do).

So glad thy are going to bust this creep and I got my laptop back (of course, its wiped clean and i lost all my info BUT least I have it back)

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

So you paid for it? I hope you paid by Pay Pal and not a credit or debit card. Let people know what happens next.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Good luck. I'm not sure that I'd have actually gone so far as to buy it back.

4. Eli727 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, paid by Paypal and also spoke to eBay (who owns Paypal) before doing anything. They told me if the police will confirm the serial number matches they will refund my money.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Should've done cash on collection and just took the police with you :p.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Good to hear. Lets hope he gets what he deserves, but to be honest he will probably claim he bought it off somebody else and get a slap on the wrist.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If this was a business was there any surveillance footage showing him in the office? That's an interesting story and I hope you get your money back.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, yes they are.

Wait...you found your stolen laptop, and you bought it back?!? :confused:

And the criminals are the dumb ones? :confused:

I must be missing something here.

9. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Yes, you did.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You're missing my point - the guy stole his laptop, now all of a sudden he gains some scruples and actually follows through on a legit sale, without stiffing the buyer? There's an awful lot of trust going on here toward someone who the OP suspects is a thief.

11. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

but if the serials matched, he gets refunded. everybody wins.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Ebay is generally pretty decent for buyers, and refunding money if you don't get what is described. Most of the horror stories I've heard have been from sellers getting ripped off after sending something and the buyer saying it wasn't as described and getting paypal to refund the money. Plus if the guy stole it and listed it on ebay he is most likely wanting to get the money from it and not wanting to bring in a lot of attention by causing problems.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You're assuming the thief will actually deliver the laptop. We're not talking about a proverbial Boy Scout, here.

14. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I assume the package came with his (return) home address.
    Look, just get your boys and go pay him a little visit. :mad:

;)

15. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Ahhh, the criminal element. I am a believer in what goes around, comes around. Hope police get the person. Glad you got it back!

16. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

After buying you can access the seller's address and phone number.

17. TedM macrumors 6502

Let us know how this turns out. I want to know is justice was had.

18. Eli727 thread starter macrumors member

I think you have missed a critical part of my story. I already have the laptop back. The seller shipped it the very next day and when I typed this I already had the laptop back in my possession and had verified the serial number as well as had the detective verify that it was my stolen laptop.

The seller is believed to be a middle man in the scheme actually. Not the actual thief but someone who was buying stolen goods.

I spoke to eBay and the police about this before I did it and both confirmed that if the laptop I suspected to be mine on eBay was in fact mine, I would be able to get Paypal to refund the money no problem.