MBA Stuck at 800MHz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Franz1234, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Franz1234 macrumors newbie

After installing the latest Macbook Air *update* I discovered that my CPU stucks at 800MHz all the time. The only way to get around this issue is to actually use Coolbook.

If I use coolbook to set the CPU for example to 1.6GHz and 1 Volt it will easily go up to 107 Degrees and this is not the way its supposed to be.

I heard from people without any issue so I asked the local Apple Store to check on it and then they replaced my logical board and everything around it. Still the same.

Any idea?

2. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

You mean it won't throttle up?

The MBA runs at 800MHz until it needs throttling, right?

Perhaps a corrupt throttling preference file is messing with the clock speed?

3. Franz1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, it should increase the speed if more is demanded.

I will probably do a re-install anyway and see that I leave out that particular update.

But another problem is... if I put it under high load and the CPU Speed is over about 1GHz it's just getting way too hot.

4. lenselijer macrumors member

i think you should reapply thermal paste.
    i use coolbook with 1.6GHz and 0.9000 Volt
    And maximum i get is 85 degrees, but that is with 2 instances of dev/null running in terminal.

5. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Yes, and he might also use a soldering iron to tweak some transistors in the CPU. Heck, why not? Opening an MBA is easier than opening a can of tuna, and certainly does not void the warranty.

Seriously, another call to Applecare would be more useful for taking care of this. If the problem persists after a couple of repair attempts by Apple, you might get a replacement MBA.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the computers is too hot, the processor with automatically throttle to the lowest speed; it's a safety feature of the Intel processor.

7. Franz1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware of this. The issue i described above happens also at 40 Degrees and the CPU won't increase the Clock Rate.