Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
London
So I've been planing to get a MacBook for a while now for when I'm on the go/at uni/etc. It won't get heavy use since my main computer is my iMac so I'm thinking second-hand around £600.

Then I see the MacBook Air and of course I want one.

Then the next day... I get a letter from University who tell me they're giving me a bursary for the amount of £1000. Completely unexpected.

I'm tempted to go for the MBA, although I know I shouldn't spend the same amount on a secondary computer as I spent on main computer.

gescom

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, TX
And I tempted to do the stuff they do on Jackass sometimes but I don't. - j/k

Seriously, go to the apple store when MBA arrives and try them both out and see what you think once you have actually had a chance to play. I think some people's imaginations have been overhyping or substantially lessening the value of the MBA. I wouldn't do anything until you gave them both a spin. :D

Beowulf666

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first, why should a computer be any different? Go to the apple store when you can and test out the macbook air when you can and see how it is. If you like it, then by all means buy it. It's your money man.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
London
You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first, why should a computer be any different? Go to the apple store when you can and test out the macbook air when you can and see how it is. If you like it, then by all means buy it. It's your money man.

Well it's not the fact about testing it out or not. I quite certain it would be better in terms of its size and weight. It the fact I'm not gonna spend that much on a second computer.

Beowulf666

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
Well it's not the fact about testing it out or not. I quite certain it would be better in terms of its size and weight. It the fact I'm not gonna spend that much on a second computer.

Well theres no rule where it says you can't spend that much on a second computer or that you shouldn't. A comps and comp and well, I think the MBA is somewhat worth its price, so if you want to buy it, by all means do it. i doubt you'll regret it.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I was tempted to get a MBA but I think that would be more of a "toy" to me than a necessity.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK

You only live once and all that. Just be aware it is a Rev 1 machine and as such it might have problems. Hopefully not, and I am sure you will not regret it once you get it...

C

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
I've ordered by MBA.

But I'm not sure I would get one as my primary computer. I'm not saying I wouldn't, but I would have to think long and hard about that one.

As a second computer, I think it will fit that role quite nicely. I'll get rid of the 17" MBP (finally!) and the MP will continue as my primary machine.

Reasons I would have to think about the MBA as a primary computer are just the volume of content I have in iLife apps and concerns about running Linux, Windows or Solaris in 2GB of RAM. I'm used to 12GB where I can comfortably run all 3 with 2-4 GB each. Or 3GB in my MBP where I can still comfortably run 2 OSes (ubuntu or windows) without a problem.

However, unlike others I am not worried about the CD/DVD drive. Last two days I used that was to upgrade to Leopard and iWork 08 and recently Office 2008. That's not enough usage to be carrying it around or even to buy the external one they offer. Wireless to the MP DVD drive will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.