MBA - Tests to Verify Mac is Working Properly

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tech324, Aug 26, 2011.

1. tech324 macrumors 6502

I am not sure if there is a thread for this already but I am wondering what tests I can run to verify everything is working properly with my new MBA. What hardware/software issues could I have and how to check them.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just use your machine and stop worrying about it. You have a year to find all the problems and get them fixed under Applecare anyways.

3. minnus macrumors 6502

You can run the Apple Diagnostic - Hold down D on boot.

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

This. If there is an issue you are covered for a year. Just enjoy it.

5. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

You could also run Disk Utility to verify that your drive is ok. Google "dead pixel test" to get screen images that will let you check for dead/stuck pixels. Put a full screen black image on the screen and go into a dark room and see if there's any significant light bleed.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Stop, drop the OCD enjoy your Mac as it was intended, they are fantastic machines, don't obsess, create and consume, you have one of the very best personal computers on the market :apple:

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

you don't have to do that. You must have been using a Dell ;)

Just Turn it on. Enjoy........or not

whatever :eek:

8. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you Pipper99. That is what I was looking for. Sorry guys I work in IT and I like to verify my machines work properly in the beginning. I know running yes > /dev/null for a while can test the CPU. Any other tests worth running?

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

out of curiosity, the ones who say don't worry about it, do you also take that view in your other purchases or just apple? I mean when you buy a car, do you just test drive it and don't bother looking at the motor or having a mechanic inspect it before buying? What about a house, do you tell the home inspector to not bother, you just want to start enjoying the home? There is nothing wrong with inspecting your purchase to make sure everything is ok, while i agree some people go too far and nitpick at the slightest thing, but it shouldn't be discouraged when some one just wants to verify that everything is working ok on their $1,000+ purchase.

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

True, but I check those things like everybody else. However, I don't scrutinize these things so much as they are electronics, which tend to either work or not

Just the way electronics seem to operate (without a lot of moving parts (or any actually).

(please somebody back me up or they are going to go after me :D )

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

When I spend money on a gadget, I want it to be right. No question. But the definition of "right" for some folks here is, to put it mildly, unrealistic. There is a point of diminishing returns where obsessing over the quality of something is just not worth it. If I buy something and I have to return it twice, I'm done. I'm getting something else. Returning something 10 times seems excessive to me.

But that's me. :cool:

12. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

The OP works in IT. The very nature of his job is to make sure things are running properly so his question makes sense. He probably has a lot of diagnostic software at his disposal to run on PC's.

On Macs, (and this is my impression of users after reading forums for years) most people just use their computers until a screen issue, battery issue, wifi issue, application issue, arises. And then they turn to the forums looking for advice or similar experiences. They're premium products, and more often then not, they work as they should straight out of the box.

Hence, you are going to see replies on posts such as this stating, "just enjoy your Mac," or "use it you have Apple Care," I don't think its because members don't value the logic of testing each part of their expensive machines.

Most regular users don't run diagnostics on the major pieces that make up their computer first thing out of the box. Now if Apple's support page listed utility's 1-10 that you run on parts 1-10 to make sure your computer is running properly, then it would be a different story. There would be hundreds of comparison threads. But we all know this would never happen since all that would serve to do is open the door for more scrutiny and give the impression that Apple makes faulty products (which we all know happens on occasion :p).

13. jsolares macrumors 6502a

that's pretty much it, the apple hardware test also tests the ram, or you could use a usb stick with memtest or something, there's rember but i believe that will only test free ram.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

Just a word to the wise that Repair Disk Permissions often comes up with what look like unfixable errors but don't present a problem. It's a little bit how like running a Registry cleaner always finds something.