MBA + Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mac American, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Mac American macrumors newbie

Debating an issue with the new MBA, is it capable of driving a Cinema display and the internal display? So,would it be possible to work on the Cinema and keep a live feed open on the airs internal display? Ready to order, but thought Intel graphics limited to one monitor only.

2. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Don't have a cinema display but - i've connected via the Thunderbolt display port to several corporate / business grade projectors & large flat panel monitors at work without issue.

This is while simultaneously using the monitor on the Air.

3. Mac American thread starter macrumors newbie

Based upon your experience then, it is possible to use the internal display and an external monitor independent of each other.

4. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

This setup is what I have in mind. 11" for on the road and and 27" "docking station" for in the office.
    And the specs show that you should be able to drive a 27" thunderbolt cinema display.

5. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Absolutely. Just make sure to uncheck mirror in System Prefs & set the arrangement

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Yes it works just fine.

7. swedefish macrumors 6502

For those who ave tried this with the new MBA models, how did you find the fan noise? On my old MBA, hooking up to my 20" Cinema Display used to make the fans go crazy, however, on my current 13" MBP I experience no such issues. Thanks :)