MBA trackpad issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SiddiqueKahrim, Aug 12, 2014.

1. SiddiqueKahrim macrumors newbie

My late 2008 MBA that I purchased off of ebay has some issues with the trackpad. A very weird issue. With my computer flat down on a table or on the floor, the trackpad is very UNRESPONSIVE. (it responds to my touch at about 20%)
    When i put my hand/finger under the computer and raise it off of the flat surface, It works perfectly.
    If i try to use an object like the Tv remote, a drink coaster or anything small to give it some leverage off of the table, same thing happens (the trackpad is unresponsive)
    I erased the disk and did a fresh install of OS X today.
    Does anyone else find it strange that my hand is the only thing i can put under the macbook for the trackpad to be responsive?
    Anyone else ever had this issue?

2. ixxx69 macrumors 65816

I would suggest taking it to an Apple repair center and have them check to see if the battery is swelling.

Good luck!

3. SiddiqueKahrim thread starter macrumors newbie

I have another battery lying around somewhere. I'll change it and see if that helps.
    Thanks

4. abbeybound macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, if you touch the metal case with your left hand while the computer is flat, does it work any better?

5. SiddiqueKahrim thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope it doesn't. I actually have to prop it up.

6. SiddiqueKahrim thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad, it does actually work properly if I touch the casing with my left hand.

7. abbeybound macrumors newbie

Very interesting. I don't think that likely has to do with the battery. If the trackpad is capacitive multitouch like the iPhone, it uses the electrical charge of your fingers to detect them. Is there a protector on the trackpad? Try taking it off. Also, dirt around the edges can cause this, try to clean it. Finally, try moving away from sources of static electricity. I had an Ionic Breeze wreak havoc on my touch devices. Try it at a completely different location.

It's likely something is wrong with the trackpad itself.

8. SiddiqueKahrim thread starter macrumors newbie

I took off the protective case but that didn't help.
    I will clean the edges of the trackpad and see if that helps any.
    Thanks for all the help.