MBA using multiple displays.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by didztran, Oct 14, 2014.

1. didztran macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am using a 13-inch Macbook Air and I'm wondering how many displays it can support, including its own.

I currently have a 900p display, and I received a 1080p display. So actually, I am running 2 external displays, one with the thunderbolt port and one via USB.

However, I'd like an actual big display, and I was considering the thunderbolt display. However, I was wondering, could it be possible to use all four displays at once? Like, Thunderbolt Display via Thunderbolt (obviously...) and my 1080p display via daisy-chain and my 900p display via USB, while also using the Macbook Air display, or I would have to let go of one of my displays? Or could a Retina Macbook Pro 13 inch run these?

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

If I remember correctly, you can daisy chain up to two thunderbolt displays from the Macbook Air. You cannot however, attach another minidisplayport device to the end of the thunderbolt display chain. You might be able to attach the third display to the chain if you add another daisy-chainable thunderbolt device after the second thunderbolt display, but I could very well be wrong.

I'd take a good hard look at a DisplayLink adapter. They're not perfect, but for mostly static content (iTunes, Calendar, Twitter, etc) a Displaylink adapter is great. I use an EVGA UV+ from my Mac mini and it's stellar. It'll even drive two displays if you need, and it works decently well with Yosemite Public Beta.