Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Uh.. I just compared a 8-Core Mac Pro to a MacBook Air... 2x 7200RPM, 3.5" Maxtor 1TB drives in RAID-0, for some reason, has a slower maximum write speed than my 128GB Samsung SSD in the MacBook Air.

There is no SATAIII drives for a notebook yet, only SATAII. SATAII @ 7200RPM probably give you about 40ish MB/s max speed, no where close to an SSD, regardless on how crappy the SSD is.

SSDs will be faster than any 7200RPM drives, except on a few items. Write and Read are not the two things that any 7200RPM drives can beat a decent SSD.

I read an article about Intel's SSDs a few months ago. It basically said a "normal" user would see five times read speeds with SSD over the best 7200rpms. That's "average" or typical use like turn on, open apps, open files and etc. However within three to four years SSDs will cost less than double HDDs. At that time, both read and write speeds will triple today's SSDs.

It made me wonder then, which was not discussed in the article, what type of drive controller would be capable of that sort of throughput. I mean an Intel SSD would easily saturate SATA which had extremely frustrated some new MBP buyers who were not getting SATA-II capability with their new MBPs.

That sort of speed would be limited by SATA-II. So is SATA-III the next advancement? What sort of bandwidth does it allow? When would that technology be available for notebooks?

I am really most looking forward to greatly improved SSDs. They will speed up computers far more than CPUs or more RAM. I think SSDs have the potential to speed up computers more than any other component. Macs are really going to be greatly superior three or four years from now with all of the enhancements like fast SSDs, OpenCL, Grand Central Dispatch, and etc. Software will take advantage of multiple cores and GPUs. And SSDs will reduce the huge bottleneck over HDDs.

I remember the first time I used a MacBook Air with Nvidia GPU and SSD. It really seemed like I was working on a Mac Pro. The thing booted in 20 seconds, apps opened instantly, and large files opened instantly. I was truly amazed, as I had never used even a MBP with 7200 rpm with anywhere near that kind of speed.

It's a great time to be a Mac lover. I cannot wait for Snow Leopard and then the next MacBook Air.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I read an article about Intel's SSDs a few months ago. It basically said a "normal" user would see five times read speeds with SSD over the best 7200rpms. That's "average" or typical use like turn on, open apps, open files and etc. However within three to four years SSDs will cost less than double HDDs. At that time, both read and write speeds will triple today's SSDs.

It made me wonder then, which was not discussed in the article, what type of drive controller would be capable of that sort of throughput. I mean an Intel SSD would easily saturate SATA which had extremely frustrated some new MBP buyers who were not getting SATA-II capability with their new MBPs.

That sort of speed would be limited by SATA-II. So is SATA-III the next advancement? What sort of bandwidth does it allow? When would that technology be available for notebooks?

I am really most looking forward to greatly improved SSDs. They will speed up computers far more than CPUs or more RAM. I think SSDs have the potential to speed up computers more than any other component. Macs are really going to be greatly superior three or four years from now with all of the enhancements like fast SSDs, OpenCL, Grand Central Dispatch, and etc. Software will take advantage of multiple cores and GPUs. And SSDs will reduce the huge bottleneck over HDDs.

I remember the first time I used a MacBook Air with Nvidia GPU and SSD. It really seemed like I was working on a Mac Pro. The thing booted in 20 seconds, apps opened instantly, and large files opened instantly. I was truly amazed, as I had never used even a MBP with 7200 rpm with anywhere near that kind of speed.

It's a great time to be a Mac lover. I cannot wait for Snow Leopard and then the next MacBook Air.

you and me both....

i have 2500 aside for the new macbook air....and i cannot wait for a final snow leopard :D

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I only read the first three posts of this article but I've had this MacBook Air for a week now and it's the best notebook I've owned.

There are ZERO issues with it and it's extremely fast at all of the basic tasks

(2.13Ghz w/ 128GB SSD)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.