MBA VS iPad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BenTyrrell, May 26, 2012.

1. BenTyrrell macrumors newbie

i am thinking of getting an ipad for films and interent browsing, listening to music is key.

I have an iphone 4 and mabook pro 13" already and the ipad would be a portable device that i would take everywhere

however my friend says they r pointless and i might as well get a macbook air
    help me decide people

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Make your own decision based on your own needs and not those of your friend

I have an iPhone 4s, a MBA and an iPad and use all 3 for different things
    And I love them all

3. kaielement macrumors 65816

You have a laptop already and based on your needs if you think you will watch lots of movies music and internet I would go with a iPad but really it's up to you and it's what you think you will use it for.

4. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

The iPad is not "pointless," and since you already have a 13" pro I think an iPad would be the better option.

5. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I have an MBA, an iPhone and an iPad. They all serve different purposes.

You need to decide what is right for you, but it seems to me that two laptops would be a bit redundant.

For browsing, music, watching video - I think the iPad is a great solution. Not as cumbersome as having a hinged clamshell.

6. macPDX macrumors newbie

MBA vs iPad

have an iPad - love it for it's unsurpassed portability - it fits easily in a small bag, easier still to pull out and use if you have limited time or space.
    (standing in line, at crowded coffee shop, on a plane). It's great for staying in touch, checking emails, watching videos, reading e-books, listening to music (although I still prefer an ipod for music) and some games.

I also have an MBAir - love it for it's full size key-board, larger screen and the
    fact that, at this point anyway, it's easier to manage my music, photos and many of the programs/apps I use daily - especially for work. (Which is good, because I paid an awful lot more for the MBAir than the iPad)

Both are great, but I quickly found that they fulfill different needs/uses in my day-to-day.

Stop listening to your friends for just a minute and try to figure out if an iPad
    would be an asset to your life; will you take it places you might not want to
    take your MacBook Pro? Do you think that you would really use it enough to
    justify the cost?

If you end up with more reasons to get one than not - then do it, and be prepared to tell your well-meaning friends that you made a great choice and
    you're happy with it. (Or you could tell them to just keep their opinions to
    themselves. Your choice. . . )

7. BenTyrrell thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers for the help
    i think I'm going with iPad would you say 4g is worth it even though i have an iPhone

8. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Not really. Two data plans is too much in my opinion. Heck, even one is too much...my smartphone is off-contract with data blocked because I couldn't stand throwing $30/month to AT&T.

Another option would be to jailbreak your iPhone and tether.