MBA vs. iPad

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CharlieBrandt09, May 19, 2014.

1. CharlieBrandt09 macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

Since I got my 11" MBA a few months ago. I hardly ever, ever use my rMini iPad anymore.

I almost feel like I wasted money on it now. It gets use from my kids and my wife a bit, but I can't think of anything other than streaming movies in the car that it is good for right now.

Is anyone else in the same boat? I loved my first iPad, and I have bought a new one every year since the iPad 2.

I want to love it again!

2. yosemit macrumors regular

I have an i7/8GB/256GB air and an iPad mini retina. I found both very useful.

IMHO, the mini is good for reading. By "reading" I mean to read newspapers, technical papers in PDF, PowerPoint presentation, plus web browsing. I read a lot, so it makes sense for me to invest on a mini for improved reading efficiency.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I used an iPad a little for PDF's while in school, but otherwise never thought that the tablet form factor was anything special.

I don't currently own any tablets, and have no desire to. I'm not fond of the buttonless form factor and if I could get a flip smartphone I would.

4. skinny*k macrumors regular

I bought a 3G ist generation iPad, and as much as I liked the form factor and handiness of it, it wasn’t at all suited to the way I use a computer, I didn’t like the input/output limitations, and I absolutely hated the iTunes/iOs garbage. I gave it to my daughter and bought an 11” MBA as a replacement. The MBA is the 6th or 7th laptop that I’ve owned, and it was the first one that I really liked.

I do like the tablet format, and I’ve been thinking of getting one of those PC switchable ones, and making it into a Hackintosh, but the iOs does nothing for me.

5. batotman macrumors 6502

No. I use the **** out of my iPad Air. I use my 13" MBA daily but somewhat loathe it because the screen sucks ass next to my Dell 15R. Enough to make me consider dumping it even though I like it and love the battery life. The eye strain and headaches are getting old fast.

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

Not me, I hardly go on my laptop anymore (only for syncing or editing photos). Always streaming and reading something my iPad.

7. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

I've realized (while discussing this topic in another thread) that laptops are much more suited to my computer needs 90% of the time. I would much rather go through the "hassle" of opening my 13" MBA and using the keyboard than to work on a tablet.

I have been thinking of finding a keyboard cover I like for my gf's iPad mini to see if I can use a tablet for more of my work. So who knows, maybe I'll change my mind one day?

8. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

My wife and I use our laptops and iPads equally. For work related tasks such as Word or Excel, we use our laptops. For reading or web-browsing while we are away from home, we use our iPads. We also use our iPads in bed, or on the couch, or out on the porch,etc.

Basically, depending on your needs, they may or may not compliment each other in your lifestyle.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Laptops are so much more functional and useful, they really allow a person to easily create content.

As for the iPad, I find it useful doing light tasks like emails, readying and some light office app stuff. Overall in my experience the iPad complements the laptop but my rMBP gets most of the attention :)

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I have a 13" MBA and an iPad Air, and I use them both pretty extensively. I prefer to watch movies, read books, and do general web surfing on my iPad; like at night, when I'm in bed, I usually have my iPad. My MBA is for school or any other time I know I'm going to need a keyboard, or am going to be doing research or anything like that. To me, they each serve a specific role even if their functionality overlaps somewhat.

11. Iperzampem0 macrumors newbie

Iperzampem0

Thorsten Heins said it! :)

I don't want to "open" another argument on this, but I think now like then that the ex BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins was right about tablets..

Maybe within 5 years they'll not exist anymore because of the huge capabilities of smartphones, specially BlackBerry phones with the completely multitasking-oriented BB10 OS based on the reliable, affordable and secure QNX.. :rolleyes:

12. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I'm still using my original iPad 1, but it only gets light duty. Mostly I use it as a Kindle ebook reader, but it's also great for reading email and light web browsing. I hate to admit it, but my iPad spends most of it's time in the bathroom now. :eek: