MBA vs MBP, Can't decide!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Walter Bell, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Walter Bell macrumors regular

Alright,

Once the new Air's came out, I jumped on and bought one. I started out with an Ultimate 11.6, but have finally ended up with a 13/4/128. I loved the 11.6, but having that as my PRIMARY and ONLY machine was a little more difficult (screen was just to small). Other than that, I love the Macbook Air, both 11 & 13, however am wondering if the 13 really meets my needs.

My uses:
    Typical Office use (word, mail, music, internet)
    World of Warcraft Cata
    Research (Pre-Med student, so will be doing tons of research)

I feel that the MBA fits almost all my needs except in one area and that pertains to gaming and WoW. It runs well, just gets extremely hot (especially around the 12345/QWERTY/ASDFG area on the keyboard). Also, the High Resolution of the screen causes me to squint/hunch over to read the screen (and I am only 23!!!).

My question is, would I be better off with a 13 MBP w/ upgraded SSD/Ram (both third party)? I am not sure if I would gain anything by going to a MBP, except a faster CPU.

What do you all think?

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

If you are pre med I would say go for a full size computer. I am in a medical program myself (pharmacy) and I cannot imagine reading pdfs and such on such a small screen. Maybe do a Macbook pro and an iPad for reading medical journals.

Edit: I reread your post - I would say the 13" MBA is sufficient. It almost replaced my current mbp. I would still supplement with an iPad. It has been indispensable in holding textbooks, lecture notes, powerpoints, and pdfs from my four years of pharmacy school.