Mba vs mbp gpu

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wildhorses, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Wildhorses macrumors newbie

I'm a windows user thinking of making the switch, I have to ask, does the entry level macbook air has a better GPU than the new 13 inch macbook pro?

Is it better to buy an old macbook pro (2010) It's really hard to justify a $1500 laptop with intel graphics... my girlfriend is mac addict and even she says so...

Anyone have benchmarks comparing the MBA graphics and the new macbook pro? Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

In what way would you employ the GPU?
    And yes, the 320M is a bit better than the Intel 3000 HD Graphics IGP.

3. Wildhorses thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply... I would be using it for school, would install Windows 7 64 bit on the side for mostly statistical engineering applications (graduate in 2 months) and might do some light video encoding for a youtube channel, saving 20 mins encoding a video (with a faster macbook pro)is not too important to me... I prefer the portability and nicer screen of the macbook air

I've owned several laptops and the ones with the integrated graphics always failed earlier than the others... Why did apple put an intel inside when I decided to switch :(

4. jlw2387 macrumors member

The 320M is still an integrated GPU. Theres just no room in a 13" for a discrete card. From what you describe, you would be better off with a 2011 MBP. The i5 + Intel 3000HD greatly outperforms the MBA Core 2 Duo and 320M, even though the 3000HD isn't quite as good as the 320M. Also remember that the MBA has very limited storage space. I really think that the MBA is best for a light user or someone who will use it as a second computer.

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Overall they rare about equal, the better CPU in the mbp will probably benefit you more

6. Wildhorses thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response once again.

When you say discrete, does that mean the GPU's in the 15 and 17 are user upgradeable?

For the MBA, when do you guys reckon that they will get Sandy bridge?

I might buy the new MBP and throw in an SSD, take out the CD drive and put the HD that came with it here... would that void the apple care? 5400 rpm is a bummer

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Not user upgradeable, just on its own separate chip. MBAs will probably get SB at the end of this year. I would recommend the MBP and SSD for your uses.

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If you're a robot. Unless you're capable of de-and-re-soldering hundreds of tiny little pins, then no, it's not user upgradeable.

In its next refresh.

Removing the superdrive voids warranty, assuming someone notices you did it. So if you need to get your MBP fixed, it would be a good idea to switch the ODD back in.

If you want the high end 15", the 128GB SSD Apple upgrade is a good deal.

9. CFoss macrumors 6502

The GPU in the MacBooks are not upgradable. In fact, GPUs in laptops never tend to be upgradable. If I recall correctly, "discrete" means the GPU is separate from the CPU, and does not use other system resources, such as the system RAM, to make up for the GPU's RAM. Hopefully someone can confirm if I'm correct or not.

Tthe future of the MacBook Air is hard to tell. The MBAs were updated not too long ago. The MBAs might start to use the Sandy Bridge CPUs in the next update, whenever that is. It won't be any time soon though, as Apple probably had a hard enough time fitting the Sandy Bridge CPUs in the 13" MacBook Pros, never mind the Air.

Using Optibay will void the AppleCare Warranty. You can always upgrade the primary hard drive itself via Apple's Website, or even by yourself. In fact, it's generally suggested that you purchase the cheapest Hard Drive and RAM from Apple's website, and then upgrade them both via 3rd Party resources. In other words, go with 4GB RAM, and a 5400rpm/7200rpm Hard Drive, purchase a Solid State Drive, and upgrade the MacBook yourself. It's not difficult, and there are tutorials everywhere.

Again, while I am not too experienced in the field, I think one of the most common suggestions for the 13" MacBook Pro is to go with the low end CPU, and purchase a SATA III SSD, which will be coming out this year.

The hard/solid state drive you pick from Apple's website is your choice. 500GB is usually enough for most people, so I'd go with the 7200RPM HDD. $100 isn't a bad upgrade deal for a 128GB SSD from Apple, but they tend to not be as fast as the competitor's SSDs. If you have a Playstation 3, or another Mac, you might want to go with that for the heck of it.

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I confirm your affirmation.

However most discrete cards can still use system memory if they need it. Not so useful for games (too slow) but fine for super complex CAD work and the like.

11. altecXP macrumors 65816

I just ordered a 2.66C2D 13in MBP becasue it has the 320m instead of the i5 with the x3000. With what I do the 320m will have a matter for then the x3000.

12. Wildhorses thread starter macrumors newbie

13. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

TRIM support should be built into Lion, as Apple are already experimenting with it on the new 2011 MBPs with BTO SSDs.

So, if you buy a SSD with TRIM, one would assume that you will be upgrading to Lion well before you notice any performance degradation.