MBA vs MBP Opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wrinkster22, Jul 4, 2011.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hi,
    I have been considering getting a MBA (After the refresh) I was looking at this:
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/G0JK0LL/A?mco=MjEwNTg3Mzc
    when I realized that the MBP:
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC700LL/A?mco=MjIwMTAxNjg
    was cheaper!
    Now can anyone tell me the difference between that ^ and this:
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC375LL/A?mco=MjEwNzUwNjg

I thought the firs one was better beacuse it had the 'i' processor, why would someone get the older one?

Opinion please on which I should get!! (My usage is VERY light, never have used more than 1.5gb of ram even though my computer has 8 :rolleyes: , the only reason I am not getting the MB that i like the backlit keyboard)

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Well this makes it easy. MBA does not have a Backlit Keyboard. So looks like you are gonna have to go with the MBP.

3. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

ahaha, what is the performance difference between the core 2 duo and i5?

4. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I see you have both, MBP , and MBA, which do you prefer?

5. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

... Another question according to the buying guide there is another update coming........ did'nt the mbp just get updated?

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I prefer the MBP. I only have the MBA for Travel use.... it works great but it just isn't the same.

In my opinion the i5 is better (my MBP has the i7 though).

Computers are always updating. If you are waiting for the "latest" you will be waiting forever. I am of the school of if you want it buy it. I bought mine and 4 weeks later the updated to slightly faster processor. Yes it is faster but heck I am only using 3% of it at time anyway :)

7. ABadSanta macrumors regular

I have to go the the Pro in that decision. The MBA is a great computer, but I think you'll find a little more utility out of what the MBP has to offer.

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

C2D isn't bad, I wouldn't and didn't use that as a basis for a decision. I tend to prefer "mature" technology as the bugs have been worked out. If I had to choose between the two the air wins hand down. If you really need a backlit keyboard you have only one option.

Chris

9. blackbinary macrumors member

In terms of power between the two machines you linked, there is a huge difference. The i5 is a much better architecture than core 2 duo, so you'll see a noticeable speed difference even at the same gigahertz. And then consider the c2d is at 1.6ghz and the i5 is at 2.3 with turbo boost, its obvious there is a big difference.

Thunderbolt, HD Facetime camera, ethernet port, Cd drive, backlight keys, larger storage all point to the MBP over the Air.

Grab the Air after the refresh if ever, and if you need the portability. Otherwise, if you really want an ssd grab one after the fact and install it yourself.

10. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I prefer MacBook Pro, why?
    MacBook Air is for business people that only needs it to surf the internet, IM, Skype, Word Documents, etc. Super basic stuff that doesn't require processor power. It's also extreme portable, but also extremely fragile, I believe my friend broke his MBA by accident when he put a heavy textbook on top of it without knowing that that was his laptop. haha.

MacBook Pro is faster, it does everything beter than the MBA when it comes to Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, Games, etc.
    Screen resolution is lower though, but I doubt it'll bother you that much.
    Overall, MacBook Pro has the balance of portable, balance, durable, power, etc.

If you're a student, try to buy back to school MacBook Pro, it only cost $1099 + $100 free printer + $100 free giftcard.
    If you're not a student, I guess refurbish is still good.

Overall, MBP wins in my opinion. MacBook Pro is still extremely light compare to other laptop on the market.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

The refreshed MBA will probably be fine for you. We don't know what will be inside it, but people guess that it will be sandy bridge i5, so you may find that it performs just as well as the 13" MBP in most respects.

12. tdurden12 macrumors newbie

the base mba with core 2 duo will choke on Netflix HD, the mbp will not have a problem with it.

13. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Would it? I've seen a plethora of videos of it streaming 1080p video from youtube and from its SSD.

14. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

hmmm... how long would the battery last playing standerd def movies that i downloaded...?