mba vs mbp screen which is better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJJONES, Mar 28, 2008.

1. DJJONES macrumors 6502

which computer has a better screen im talking about the latest generations of both the screens.

are they both the same ??? or does the macbook air have a better screen?

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

in terms of resoultion, of course the MBP has a better screen.

-they're both LED
    -MBP has matte option.

I dont even know why you're trying to compare them.

3. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I have both in glossy and I prefer the the MBA display, but there are a lot of other things to consider if your comparing the two machines than just the display quality.

4. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

Your kidding me, right...?

MBP of course. Even on my 2 year old 17 inch MBP, my display is crystal compared to the MBA.:apple:

5. PDE macrumors 68020

I've had both and compared rather extensively because I'm a screen nut. I've seen and compared the MBP LG 9c81 and 9c82 (or whatever it was that came before it from Chimei) and the MBA XX73 (AUO) and 9c6F (Chimei).

Contrary to what many people are saying about the AUO MBA screen, I actually don't think it's very good except for being very bright. Given how small the display is, the backlight is not very even (In addition to my own I checked many units at the Apple Store and they were more or less similar and notebookcheck.net measurements confirmed) and are darker in the lower right corner and sides compared to the middle. They also have noticeable surface coating 'graininess' that can easily be seen if you drag a white or light window across the screen. By comparison, the macbooks have no grain and the MBP LEDs have close to none. In terms of uneven backlighting, I think the AUO and LED MBP displays I've seen are comparable, but the LED MBPs may be a little better. Because it's smaller, unevenness seems less visible. On the other hand, the MBP has the lower 1/3 yellowing problem that seems to be a hit or miss thing.

Viewing angles are about the same on both. The best MBA screen I've seen is the one manufactured by Chimei (strangely, given how bad the 15" Chimei displays are) - it is more evenly illuminated than the AUO one and seems to be close to the macbook in terms of graininess - very smooth, bright and consistent. I loved it and thought it was much better than the AUO.

So, on balance, I think they're both good but each has its own issues. Of course, this is my opinion based on seeing/owning a limited number of MBPs and MBAs.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The MBP has a tighter resolution but the screen is not nearly as uniform as the MBA. On the MBP the bottom part of the screen is often darker/yellowish.

7. DJJONES thread starter macrumors 6502

i just thought that the mba had a better screen. i dont like the fact that the mbp hass like different tints at different angles but the screen is sharppp :D

8. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Ya the MBP has the better screen but i say this because i way more prefer Matte over glossy, i really wish the MBP 15" had a higher screen rez. When the update MBP's if they updated MBP's get a new screen rez say 1680x1050, do you think it would be possible for apple to take in a current 15" penryn and replace the screen with the new ones? Obviously for extra money, but do you guys think apple would help customers out like that?

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

most likely not. Connectors on the logic board are probably different. Thats how it's been for the past generations.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. mstens macrumors member

To?

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

13. mstens macrumors member

I know the panels in the Al iMacs are H-IPS. Do you know off hand what the panels in the macbook pros are? I needed to form factor, and haven't done any real digging yet.