Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Just purchased a MBA11 as a university student on campus.

The unit has shipped and upon entering the serial into the warranty check its showing 1 year warranty instead of the 3 years I should automatically receive.

Anyone else have this?

pradeepgj

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010

The unit has shipped and upon entering the serial into the warranty check its showing 1 year warranty instead of the 3 years I should automatically receive.

Anyone else have this?

Did you buy apple care? Or does it come with your mac? If not, then the warranty is just 1 year. Apple care adds 2 more.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013

Anyone else have this?

Wait a few weeks. You'll receive a warranty certificate in the post saying 2016 and your online status will update to say the same. I got this letter today and I received mine on the 18th (ordered on the 10th)

This is all dependant on you being a UK university student though, and that you did use the uni discount ONLINE, not in store, as in store you do not get the three years warranty.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I purchased this via the education HE store, so I am entitled to 3 years AppleCare by default.
Upon ordering I did not have an option for AppleCare, I only received an option for extending the phone support for 3 years for £50, which I wasn't bothered with since I should get 3 years hardware and labour already due to purchasing via education HE.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Wait a few weeks. You'll receive a warranty certificate in the post saying 2016 and your online status will update to say the same. I got this letter today and I received mine on the 18th (ordered on the 10th)

This is all dependant on you being a UK university student though, and that you did use the uni discount ONLINE, not in store, as in store you do not get the three years warranty.

Yes, I used the uni discount online to get 15% off. When buying I only had the £50 option to extend phone support, which I didn't bother with.
I'll wait and see what happens, cheers ;)

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
I purchased this via the education HE store, so I am entitled to 3 years AppleCare by default.
Upon ordering I did not have an option for AppleCare, I only received an option for extending the phone support for 3 years for £50, which I wasn't bothered with since I should get 3 years hardware and labour already due to purchasing via education HE.

Okay great :) In that case wait a few weeks and you'll receive the certificate in the post from Apple and the status'll change online. idk why it takes a few weeks but they do process it I promise you. I only just got mine today :)

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Okay great :) In that case wait a few weeks and you'll receive the certificate in the post from Apple and the status'll change online. idk why it takes a few weeks but they do process it I promise you. I only just got mine today :)

Excellent, thanks.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012

Anyone else have this?

You are from the UK, so you have 1 year phone support and 3 years against manufacturing defects.

What is showing you, is only the phone support dates.

I suggest you call the experts of this matter, simply grab AppleCare's phone number, dial it and ask them to explain you.

You should get the same answer that I gave you, unless my dyslexia kicked in and it is 1 year of manufacturing defects and 3 years phone support but that is highly unlikely.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Did you buy apple care? Or does it come with your mac? If not, then the warranty is just 1 year. Apple care adds 2 more.
Normally. It's different if you're a student in the UK, so you have to look at people's Location, especially if they're using the word "university" instead of "college".

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
You are from the UK, so you have 1 year phone support and 3 years against manufacturing defects.

What is showing you, is only the phone support dates.

I suggest you call the experts of this matter, simply grab AppleCare's phone number, dial it and ask them to explain you.

You should get the same answer that I gave you, unless my dyslexia kicked in and it is 1 year of manufacturing defects and 3 years phone support but that is highly unlikely.

No, they're showing the regular 1 year warranty, it just hasn't been updated yet and he doesn't need to call AppleCare, they actually make the situation worse as some reps don't know about the HE policy, the University Apple Computer's Group actually recommends against calling them. They try and sell you something you already have.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK

Thank you!
Received the letter/certificate today exactly as you said, and warranty correctly stating Jul 2016 now ;)

Shadow-Man4

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Is it only in the UK do you guys get AppleCare by default through the online store? And can you guys link me to the online store please?

Is the discount from the online store the same as the University Campus Store Student Discount? I'm talking about Canada now, if anyone knows. :confused:

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Is it only in the UK do you guys get AppleCare by default through the online store? And can you guys link me to the online store please?

Is the discount from the online store the same as the University Campus Store Student Discount? I'm talking about Canada now, if anyone knows. :confused:

I live in the US and this is the first I've heard of AppleCare essentially being bundled in by default for students. I would assume that it's unique to the UK due to local laws regarding consumer/student protection. You might contact the IT department at your local university though to check for sure though, they would more than likely know since they deal directly with Apple reps.

Shadow-Man4

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
I live in the US and this is the first I've heard of AppleCare essentially being bundled in by default for students. I would assume that it's unique to the UK due to local laws regarding consumer/student protection. You might contact the IT department at your local university though to check for sure though, they would more than likely know since they deal directly with Apple reps.

Good to know, thanks for the clarification then!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.