MBA Wifi didn't work after relocating router but iPad did; why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HarryWarden, Aug 16, 2014.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I moved my router and DSL modem to better serve my house, which I expanded with an addition, hence the relocating of the router. After the relocation, I did nothing to get my iPad's Internet/Wifi working but had to use the MBA's Wifi Assistant to get my MBA to connect again. Why is that? Why would anything change just by moving the physical location of the router and modem?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

3. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

There could be many reasons for this but it's difficult to say without knowing a lot more about the equipment, it's capabilities and it's configuration.

As a possibility, your MAC may have seen the network differently as a result of gaining or loosing a set of frequencies that your iPad was not receptive to or less sensitive to. The 5ghz frequencies have a shorter range and are more easily blocked than 2.5ghz frequencies and depending on the A or C or N or AC capabilities and configurations of each device your MAC could see this as a network change where your iPad did not.

It could be this or some variation on this but hard to tell without knowing a lot more.

4. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not related to my MBA but related to the moving of the equipment, the phone works but the answering machine and caller ID no longer register calls. I put my phone and the answering machine and caller ID where I used to have the router and modem. I have DSL which comes with those little filters you are supposed to attach to the phone line. I have one attached to the phone and the other connected at other end of the phone jack as it plugs into the wall. Am I supposed to use one for the caller ID and/or answering machine instead of both with the phone itself?

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I haven't had DSL for a while, but I feel certain that the rule is one device, one filter, and the recommendation was to plug the filter into the wall jack, and then to use an ordinary phone cord to the phone.

You seem to be saying that you have two filters attached to the phone connection. I'm pretty sure that's not the way to do it. Try with just one, and see how it goes.