MBA wifi problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Vandefilm, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Vandefilm macrumors regular

Hi,

Since august i'm the proud owner of the 2012 MBA. Had no problems (some minor ones) with it so far. Just today I experienced the first problems with internet (wifi). After some time (can be 30 minutes, or 1 hour) my internet connection fails. First it drops, then it searches for a connection, then it finds the connection but it can't connect to the internet. So I don't know whether its a wifi or a network problem.
    The only two things that have changed over the last 2 weeks is that I got a new monitor (Dell 2711 U) and i switched from a MM to a MTP.
    I had some minor bluetooth problems before, that internet would be running slow.When i broke the bluetooth connection with my MM/MTP and keyboard connection was fine again.
    When I disconnect my MBA from the monitor and leave my bedroom (where my setup is) and go downstairs and not have it hooked to anything everything works fine.
    Common problem with a simple solution?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If it was simple, u already fixed it right.

To ascertain whether WIFI, then when problem occur, of course go to your desktop, whatever you have connected to the Internet, ideally WIRED and see if the problem occur there too. Do some basic troubleshooting OK, no magic.

If u have no other device attached to the network then you gotta go find out what your WIFI environment look like, u may have a marginal connection. Do you know to look at your WIFI connection and tell whether you are getting a strong signal? what's the noise level is? When u reply next, we need to know what version of OSX you are running, what brand/model WIFI router u got, is it 802.11N?

Yes, yes, you are saying, but it used to work fine, and how come it comes and go blah-blah. Answer: WIFI is radio, it shares it radio waves with common appliances like the microwave. So u can get interference OK, maybe your neighbors is causing it.

Fun - fun - fun.

3. joewillmott macrumors regular

I have been having the same problem since the day I got mine. It is definitely my MBA and not my router, connection or anything like that because my girlfriend and others use the same connection on their laptops without this problem.

Blergh.

4. Vandefilm thread starter macrumors regular

Problem seemed to have solved itself with me. I didn't do nothing.