MBA with 128gb SSD or 256 for Homemaker?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rajivhifi, Aug 12, 2014.

1. rajivhifi macrumors member

This is mostly for my wife. Bought a MBA 13" 4/128 last week but yet to open. I wasn't sure if I should keep this or get the 256 model for $250 more. The biggest use will be browsing, Evernote and basic picture collage app. Nothing intensive.

I'm confused if I should just pay upfront for the 256 SSD or wait for a year or so and get higher aftermarket SSDs as they come out. I believe the only ones available now are formidably priced.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

For your describe use 128gb should work fine.
    Enjoy:)

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

How much space is used on the current computer? That's a pretty good indicator. If she takes a lot of photos that will eat up space. If personal files are over 10gb double or triple it.

I've also seen a lot of housewives where 4gb isn't enough. As twenty tabs are open in Chrome, iPhoto is open with a huge database also Word, Mail, iTunes and numerous other apps that are never closed.

4. rajivhifi thread starter macrumors member

That is true. There is often around 10 tabs open in Safari and iPhoto.

The mac we use now was for both me and my wife, and so not a true indicator. Not much of files being generated by her just consumption.

What is the possibility of the Air specific SSD being more abundant in about a year's time? My decision to go for 256 is also in part dependent on that. If it is a good possibility I might as well get a much higher capacity later for the same amount of money it costs now.

5. Meister, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

what velocity is writing is not true. You cannot max out ram with using iPhoto and having browser tabs open.
    Look here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1756865

How much storage is used on your current computer?

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

In that case it might make sense to upgrade to 8GB RAM instead. Since you definitely won't be able to later.

7. Locoman, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

Locoman macrumors newbie

I just bought my wife a 128gb mac air only because i have a 256 gb mac air and i am only using 40gb on it and have a whole bunch of programs running. So figured she would never need more than 128gb. Also, i am running 4gb ram and have been quite satisfied with it's performance. I think she should do ok with 4gb also.

She has been having so many problems with her Dell Win 7 Note book, that i got tired of trying to fix it for her and hearing her complaints that i finally broke down and got her the Air cause I have had mine for over half a year and love it. Just hope her's works as well.

8. tritonv3pro macrumors member

I bought my wife a 128GB/4gb confif and she uses it similar to your situation with no issues. You could also check B&H as they usually carry these configs with about $100 off compared to apple.

9. rajivhifi thread starter macrumors member

Future SSDs

Any predictions on the future availability of the air specific SSDs and pricing?

10. rajivhifi thread starter macrumors member

Made the decision

Since this is not going to be the main computer went with the 13" base MBA (4/128). With the BB sale price, all the coupons and cashing in on some gift cards, it cost me a handsome $245. Went to DE, half hour from me, to avoid the tax. Upgrading to 256 would have cost me another $250. The 128 seemed to be sufficient for my wife's needs.
    Thanks for your input.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

excellent choice. Enjoy!

12. rajivhifi thread starter macrumors member

Just noticed BB dropped an additional $50 for the base 13" MBA. Off to BB to get that back since my purchase is within 30 days (price match).