Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rishi13

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Do you think the USB ports on the back of the LED cinema display will be able to support the Macbook Air External Superdrive? This would be really convenient.

joegomolski

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2006
So CA
In a word NO. There's an extensive discussion on this, try search.

The external superdrive only works through the MBA USB.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
As above, NO. However another brand of powered USB DVD drive will work this way.

rishi13

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
In a word NO. There's an extensive discussion on this, try search.

The external superdrive only works through the MBA USB.

How do you know that the 24" Cinema Display will not have "above spec" USB ports?

rishi13

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Now that the 24" LED's are shipping, can someone with a external SuperDrive try this? I am guessing it would most likely not work, but it would be convenient to be able to use the SuperDrive with the new 24"LED through the hub.

hooly

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Are the cables on the monitor long enough to plug in the USB and power at the same time (with them being on opposite sides of the MBA)?

rishi13

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Yep, it's not even tight. It's just right.

Would you mind posting a picture of your setup? I curious to see how it looks with the power adapter on one side and USB on the other. Thanks so much.

wetrix

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
My MBA is getting repaired now (fan failed) so I can't take a picture for now. The cables are easily long enough (no strain or anything). They loosely fall back to their join, which is about a foot from the ends (if that makes sense). The display has definitely been designed to support the Air properly.

I'll take a photo of the superdrive/display combo when I get home in a few hours.

wetrix

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
Superdrive connected to 24" LED cinema display

My MacBook Air is under repair (fan), so my macbook will have to do to demonstrate that the cables of the display stretch to both ends of the notebook.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
beautiful setup. I wish I had the cash but the display is soo expensive, i'd rather just get a larger imac for the price. Awesome and beaufitul though.:D

So the sound gets pulled from the display port?

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
A more telling question would be if (not that it would be necessary) but will the External Superdrive work with a MB or MBP hooked up to the LED Cinemas display?

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Why even buy one just get an iMac for another $100 and connect the air to it and have a desktop at the same time!:apple:

First I would like to state that the iMac is $300 more for the 20" base model. On top of that, you are comparing a 24" LED display v. 20" display in the iMac. There is a big difference in size and quality between the two screens. The 24" iMac is $900 more than the 24" LED Display.

If there is only one user in the house, there is an added benefit of only having one computer, especially a laptop. You never have to worry about trying to keep the data in sync when everything is on one computer. You essentially get a desktop and a portable which is cheaper than buying both.

Kan-O-Z

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.