Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n1xf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
2011 MBA 11.6" with external monitor connected through Thunderbolt and DVI interface. MBA has no external keyboard or mouse attached. Expected behavior when closing lid is that the MBA would sleep. Instead, it moves the desktop to the external monitor. Any ideas/

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
2011 MBA 11.6" with external monitor connected through Thunderbolt and DVI interface. MBA has no external keyboard or mouse attached. Expected behavior when closing lid is that the MBA would sleep. Instead, it moves the desktop to the external monitor. Any ideas/
You need an external keyboard and mouse to use clamshell mode.

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display:
Requirements for closed display mode:

Power adapter
External keyboard, mouse, or trackpad
External display

n1xf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Clamshell mode

My point was I do not want it to go into clamshell mode and it makes no sense it would go to clamshell mode with no external keyboard or mouse. How do I keep it from going into clamshell mode?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My point was I do not want it to go into clamshell mode and it makes no sense it would go to clamshell mode with no external keyboard or mouse. How do I keep it from going into clamshell mode?
A very simple solution is to unplug the Thunderbolt cable before closing the lid. Then plug it back in when you wake it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.