MBA with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by interestingfun, Jul 22, 2013.

1. interestingfun macrumors newbie

I am thinking of getting a mba i7/8gb/128gb and Time Capsule. I would like to use Time Capsule as an external hard drive where I would store my music library and other media that will quickly and easily fill up the 128gb drive. I am wondering if this would work well for a college student living in a house. What do you guys think?

2. jdotwu macrumors newbie

I actually just did the exact same thing. i5/8gb/128gb with time capsule.

It really depends on your usage. Are you going to dual boot? Do you have a huge iTunes library? Are you going to game on it?

Most people on this forum will tell you, just get the 256gb and don't worry about it. At the end of the day, it's all based on how you use it.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That will work fine, but just understand that any data in the TC drive is only on that drive and not being backed up anywhere.

You might take a look at iTunes Match as a way to get store music off the local drive.

4. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Match is very glitchy. I had a macbook pro with 320 gb and it was 3 years old. I just upgraded to the base macbook air for the better battery. I have a 22k Itunes songs and 46 itunes movies(part of blu rays I bought). Pretty awesome that I don't need to keep the movies on my HD but this is free regardless because I downloaded them with iTunes codes. Tho 4 movies have been taken off the Apple store and are not longer able to download from the cloud. Kind of annoying but they are in a backup HD that I own.

That and match takes forever to finish. So far the 128gb is fine for me. Tho I have only had it for 1 week. It's awesome to have a **** ton of data on your computer but do you really ever use any of it. A Back up HD only cost 50 bucks for 500gb to 1tb. I think a Macbook Air + a cheap HD is a better option.