MBA wont get past boot screen.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mutts, Jul 19, 2013.

1. mutts macrumors newbie

Hi

After a forced shutdown my MBA wont get past the boot screen (logo + spinner) and It wont let me boot into safe mode. I have booted into the install disc and done a permission repair and a disc repair but I still cannot get past he boot screen.

What other options are there to make the disc bootable again

Thanks in advance

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I suggest you reinstall your OS. The default install leaves all your files alone and reinstalls OSX. I've done this numerous times. The only caution I have is this...

If you're booting from an install disk, this means you have a really really old OS (Snow Leopard, perhaps?). After the fresh install, you will have to sit through a rather lengthy download to get to the current version.

I did this recently. I decided to resurrect a 2008 Macbook when my wife's Mac mini died. I started from Leopard, installed Snow Leopard, updated Snow Leopard all before I could install Lion. It took a very long time because my ISP (Comcast) was having one of their many slow days.

In the future, any "spare" machines I happen to have lying around will be running the latest possible OS so I don't have to go through all that again.