MBA won't turn on for a few days then will turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mauracky, Dec 9, 2014.

1. mauracky macrumors newbie

My Macbook Air mid 2013 model randomly wouldn't turn on a few weeks ago. I eventually got it back on by pressing the on button a few times. Had to use this little technique for a few weeks. Then one day my mac decided it won't turn on at all. About a week later and after I had a techy friend look at it, I could turn it on. Then again today it won't turn on also. I'm not at all technical with mac as I'm a newb, but would you guys have any idea what the source of the problem could be? There is no interruption with the led light on the charger etc. Please help as I'm a film student and rely on my mac for final cut and final draft!!!

2. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Could be a bad power button. Did it have any liquid spill?

To see if power button is working, once you do get it to boot up to the desktop try holding the power button for a few seconds and see if the message pops up asking you to sleep, shut down, restart etc...

Alternately, an SMC reset will tell if power button is working. With MacBook powered off and charger attached (orange light on magsafe) do an SMC reset by holding the left shift, control, option keys and then press and release the power button. If the SMC reset is successful then the orange light will go to green for a few seconds before turning back to orange.