MBA'2011 battery going bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mixman, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mixman macrumors member

Hi,

I've been using my MBA'2011 13" since August* and recently the battery charging has become lackluster. The battery used to charge to full in about 4 hours without a glitch. Now it can stay at 70-90% charging for over 24hrs. Sometimes re-plugging the power cord helps, with the charge going to, or near 100% immediately.

Should I do something to the battery?

How long do these batteries last? I notice I'm at 133 cycle counts since end of August (4 months of daily use).

Is the battery covered under warranty for the first year?

* System Report / Memorys
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 5315
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6237
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 133
    Condition: Normal

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You Need To RE-Calibrate

Allow your MBA to go COMPLETLY flat. Until it shuts down by itself.

Then charge it again allowing an extra hour after the green light on the Magsafe adaptor comes on.

3. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

This is good advice, if after you do this there are still problems let us know.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Reset the SMC. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. mixman thread starter macrumors member

I'm having trouble getting the computer battery charged to full (green), in order to recalibrate it. Today the battery charged to about 49% in 16hrs or so without any sign of powering up further. Drained it and starting over (again) to see if better luck. Now the meter shows 20:00 left to charge to full (3% done after 30 minutes).

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try resetting the SMC?

First, that's not how you calibrate a battery. Second, The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

7. mixman thread starter macrumors member

I performed the SMC reset now. The time to charge from the 3% it was is now down to 1:30 hours and seems to charge faster (already at 6%).

8. mixman, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

mixman thread starter macrumors member

Battery charge rose to 34% and now shows 20:00 to charge the rest. I'll let it be and see if I'll get to green anytime tomorrow. Tiresome try-evaluate loop.

EDIT: 3hrs later, 40% with 14 hours to go...
    EDIT: 4hrs later, 42% with 20 hours to go...
    EDIT: 13hrs later, 51% ...
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 2972
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5859
    EDIT: 14hrs later, 56% (jump due using 85W magsafe for a while, until charging stalled again) ... probably no use to try to charge this thing with Amperage being 0
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 3263
    Charging: Yes
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5858
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 135
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 7664

9. mixman thread starter macrumors member

Seems it's settled:

Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 0
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 0
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 0
    Condition: Service Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 0

10. nooboob macrumors member

I had the same problem a while ago where it would take literally HOURS before I got a full charge. (We're talking 4-5 hours of charging just to get a 20% charge)

Then suddenly, the power adaptor gave out. It just wouldn't charge anymore. Went into the store and got a replacement for free. Voila, instant charging as usual. Only thing was, whenever it would go to sleep, the computer would never "unsleep" and freeze instead... which was very annoying. I reset the SMC or whatever it was called and so far, I haven't had that problem agian.

11. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Go to the Apple store with your MBA and adapter.

12. mixman thread starter macrumors member

Had a diagnostic run on the laptop on tuesday at an Apple Auhthorized Service Provider. Oddly the diagnostic came out saying battery OK, adapter BAD. As it was the shop's adapter in use, I was quite floored for the service guy to tell me right then and there that it's my adapter's problem and I should get a new one! His co-worker mentioned that the logic board could be faulty.

Turning the laptop for repairs on Monday so they can take a proper look. Hopefully won't be without the mac for more than a few days. I need mine for work. :(

Seems http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1291860 is related.

13. mixman thread starter macrumors member