MBAir to rMB or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hull22, Jan 20, 2017.

1. hull22 macrumors newbie

I currently have a 2013 13" MB Air 1.3gHz i5 4gb 256gb, using mostly for web browsing with multiple tabs, once in a while use Parallels, view PDFs, word/excel docs. I use it around the house and bring it to work everyday, on trips. Once in a while, it heats up and slows down when having multiple chrome tabs open with videos, etc. I usually don't have anything plugged into the usb ports, sometimes a portable hard drive to transfer files, more rarely and SD card to upload pics from a camera.

I have my eye on a either a 2016 Macbook m5 8gb 512gb or 2016 Macbook Pro 13" nonTB 8gb 256gb, both are open box certified at Best Buy for under $1200. Not sure if I need the processing power of the MBP. It is similar to the MBA in size now. Seems like the 12" Macbook is already speedier than my MBA. Any recs? Thanks.

2. maerz001 macrumors 6502

Speed wise the MB is all u need. And with taking it to work every day it's also easier for that.
    So the questions u can only answer yourself is if u can life with 12" instead of 13" screen and if 256GB is enough for u. Using parallels with windows it could be a tight panty

3. hull22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your recs. I might just get both to try them out and keep the one I like better.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If it were me, I would definitely get the Pro for two main reasons. One is screen size, and two, it has two ports. Although a larger ssd is appealing on the MB. Both great and there is no wrong answer.

5. Benhama macrumors newbie

I've just gone from MBA to 2016 rMB M5. I love the form factor. The screen is amazingly good. Performance is very zippy compared to my 2010 MBA. I was very tempted with a MBP, but in the end form factor won over for the same reasons that you are looking at. Namely portability. My use is very similar to yours as well.

6. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

rMB - as light as an iPad yet has a keyboard and proper OS

7. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I am literally having the same debate with the BB sale.

Open box 2016 MB, M5, 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD for $1143

or

Open Box 2016 nTB MBP, i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD for $1147

Storage is not a huge issue. I do occasional work in Photoshop and edit videos in Go Pro Studio. What are y'all's opinions?

Edit: I currently have a 2013 13" MBA (if that makes a difference)

8. pukrnukr macrumors member

Same here. I ordered the MacBook then realized the MacBook Pro was only a couple dollars more so I ordered that too. After reading a lot of comparisons I think I'm going to end up keeping the MacBook Pro. Even with the smaller SSD I think it will be more future proof. The keyboard is considerably better on the MacBook Pro. My wife and I just had a child, and the 720P FaceTime camera is better on the MacBook Pro. The port on the MacBook is USB 3 vs 2 USB 3.1 with thunderbolt on the Pro. I think the pro will hold its value longer.

From the reviews I read on both machines, the macbook is fine for some light editing of photos and videos, but the pro will run smoother longer. When the MacBook starts to get warm when editing videos it will have to slow down prococessor speeds since there's no fans. Probably not a big deal if your only editing a video that's a couple minutes, but if they're longer you might want to go with the Pro.

9. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I would choose the MBP, avoiding Core "M" (passive cooling of the system and therefore, the temperature is a limiting factor).

10. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I would go with the rmb. It is just too cute. :) You don't sound like you have heavy demands of the machine and it would be powerful enough. As far as ports go... what are you going to do with 4 USB-C ports?

Anybody planning to give any machine the octopus treatment should get the mbp for sure. Get the 512 GB storage.

11. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

After handling both the MacBook and MBP non-TB in store the other day I would definitely pick up the MBP for those similar prices. Then again, if you really need the extra bit of portability afforded by the MacBook or the extra storage I'd go for that.

Personally I am considering jumping on the open box m3 models for $899. The two models you listed are really tempting, but it is just a slippery slope for me to say "why not just spend a bit more...?"

12. realpras macrumors regular

realpras

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we should consider battery life too, which the MacBook 12'' wins over the 13" MBP (both are claimed to have 10 hours of battery life but apparently the new MBP lasts much more less than that)

13. hull22 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, recently purchased both the 12" MacBook(for my wife) and the 13" MBP nonTB. After trying my wife's MB, the screen felt so small coming from a 13" MBA. I like the portability but it wasn't enough to compensate for the small screen. I'm enjoying using the MBP now. I don't mind the weight of the MBP. Keyboard is fine. Hate the 3 finger page swipe issue though.

14. antonio99 macrumors member

Why don't you just get a MBA 2015 8GB? There are 13" and 11" models.
    They also come with i7 and have +10hours of battery.
    The SSD can be upgraded later, since it is not soldered.
    It has MagSafe, so no risk in breaking the connector or the computer.
    It has normal USB 3 ports and 4K output over DisplayPort (Thunderbolt 2)

It is probably the best machine you will get in years (aside from rMB 2012 to 2015 in case you absolutely need a retina display)
    In 6-7 years, when Apple will stop supporting it, then maybe then, most peripherals will be USB-C and not need a whole bunch of adaptors like you would need now with the 2016 models and the rMB 2015 (keep in mind that if a friend comes with a USB key, you'd need an adaptor to use it).

It is ridiculous that Apple removed standard ports altogether, especially considering that given the size of USB-C connectors, they could have just put standard and USB-C connectors.

15. deivydas, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

deivydas macrumors member

deivydas

Even if MBA had i7 cpu, 16gb of ram and 1060 geForce GPU i would pass it without regard, if the screen would remain the same :) It's total disaster and simply unacceptable in 2017 :)

16. lowkey macrumors 6502

If you have ever looked at a MBA screen and then a MB or MBP screen then you would instantly know why. MBA's low red screen is simply horrible in comparison.

I've really enjoyed my MB. Used I at work for a year running Indesign, Word, Exel, Outlook, Safari, iTunes. It is really very snappy. Even occasional photoshop isn't a problem.

I was carrying it back and forth to work every day and I often had to double check it was in my bag...that's how portable it is. Great little machine.

17. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I'd have to agree. As much as I've always loved the form factor of the MB Air, that display rivals a 200 dollar netbook.

18. antonio99 macrumors member

What sort of connection do the Retina screens have?
    People have been adapting iPad screens (retina) for use as external displays because you only need display port signals.
    I wonder if it would be possible to adapt a retina screen (13") to the MBA 13" (2015 model, since it can handle 4K displays).

19. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Are you talking about actually changing the display out on a MacBook Air?

20. antonio99 macrumors member

Could be a nice hack :)
    People do that with other laptops, Thinkpads for example. Higher resolution panels, or LED instead of CCFL, etc.

21. lowkey macrumors 6502

Why bother?
    Add a retina screen to the MBA and you're going to cripple the battery life.

That's why the MBA has come to the end of its development road. No one will accept low red screens anymore. But if Apple just added a retina screen, battery life would plummet. They'd have to redesign to fit a bigger battery, making it thinker and voila...there you have the new baseline 13"MBP.

22. French macrumors regular

I'm still limping along with my "late 2010 October" macbook air 13". I almost bought a Macbook in the summer...it is just as compact and light as the air...or at least I thought so when I looked at them. But in the end I have stayed with my 2010...I partitioned the drive and installed Windows because the ONE functionality I need and can't do as well or haven't figured out how to do as well is backup DVDs. I have a foolproof system for doing it in Windows but haven't found the equivalent on Mac. Between partitioning and installing Windows 10, and adding a 32" Vizio t.v. as a monitor, I'm quite happy. For those of you pointing out the non retina display on the air...I guess you don't have a separate monitor to leverage? I basically have my computer on my desk in my office with the HDMI adapter...and any newer t.v. can accept the connection. Because I'm using a t.v. instead of a monitor I also have sound. Sometimes I'll sit in the living room with the computer but find that I'm o.k. with that because I'm usually just browsing. If I'm trying to get real work done I'm at the desk with the 32" screen. I've got a wireless mouse and the Apple keyboard...the setup has been working quite nicely. Save for the occasional beach ball but it doesn't happen all that often. Admittedly my needs may and likely are far less than some of yours.

23. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I recently ditched a 2011 15" MBP for a 12" rMB ... the new machine is faster, lighter, I take it everywhere and because it is retina, I don't miss the extra 3 inches as I relatively see the same amount on the screen.

I'm a programmer so I'm running Xcode for Swift development and Netbeans for Java development. I never hit a lag. This is my favorite Apple product I've ever owned. My wife has a MBP and next to this it is a monster. She has a task she performs on DVDs that really gets the fan cranking, otherwise she'd have the rMB as well.

24. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Since Apple was able to get a Retina display and a 10 hour battery life into the retina MacBook(which is significantly thinner than the MBA), they could definitely put a Retina display into the Air without really losing much battery life. Instead, they've gone in another direction with the retina MacBook.

25. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor