mbox 2 distorted recording issues.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rahsol, Jul 6, 2010.

1. rahsol macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my home studio set up with krk monitors, mbox 2 with pro tools and a condenser mic. This is all running on a macbook pro that is about 3 years old with a brand new hardrive and 2 gb RAM. The computer runs with Reason v.4 and protools 8.

The problem: When i first hooked up the mbox 2 with my krk monitors, i had some "popping" noise issues. I figured this was the XLR cables, i tried three different cables with no improvement. about 2 weeks later i got a condenser mic and after hooking that up, i was clearly picking up audio but it was inaudible, very scartchy and distorted. i sent the mic back to the seller for a replacement and later found that it worked perfectly fine back in the warehouse. the problem was not the mic.

I now beleive that the mbox 2 may just be faulty do to my small problem with popping on the outputs and the much bigger problem recording with the inputs. before i go and replace the mbox, does anybody have any clue what else the issue might be?

is it possible that the computer just can't handle the set up? do i need to upgrade RAM or is it simply the mbox?

thanks for any help at all!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

The distortion could be a lot of things. The popping could be that the mbox is set to a different sample rate than protools.

3. rahsol thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! ill look into that.

any specific ideas on the distortion problem?