Mbox 2 Pro on Macbook

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by windo, Aug 25, 2008.

1. windo macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

i'm considering to buy Mbox 2 Pro, but will it work on a Macbook?:confused:

hence macbook only had 1 firewire port and Mbox 2 Pro had 2 on it's back ( I'm not sure why it had 2 )

thanks b4!! :)

2. BCains macrumors regular

Not sure about the dual firewire, you only need to connect one to computer.

I'm guessing you are running Leopard, you need to upgrade software to 7.4.2
    if your are runnning Mac OS X 10.5.3 or 10.5.4. It's a free download from digi.

I would defiantly bump up and ram if you have under 2GB

Heres a compatibility page for the macbook on digidesign

3. nixoblivion macrumors newbie

the reason why the mbox has 2 firewire slots is cuz u can chain them. meaning if u have 3 firewire hardware pieces u can connect the mbox to ur macbook, the 2nd firewire piece to your mbox and the third to the 2nd piece. this way all are connected to the macbook but u only need 1 firewire slot ;)

4. windo thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys are awesome

Thanks very much!!

i've been searching the answer for that 2 firewire port all day, u guys give me clarity about this.. and yeah i got 2Gb ram on my macbook with leo. nice link!

gonna start book the item tomorrow.. thanks ! =)

o yeah.. is that mean i can connect external Hard drive to the Mbox?

5. zosoaudo007 macrumors member

Yes you can. Hook up the Mbox to the computer first, then connect a hard drive to the second port on the Mbox.

I have two hard drives connected via the Mbox right now...daisy chained.

Connected as such.

Macbook Pro------Mbox-----HDD1-------HDD 2.

Works very well. However it doesn't beat having a Mac Pro and internal hard drives or multiple firewire ports.

6. daliscar55 macrumors member

Hmmm ive been using the mbox pro with my macbook for some time now with no problems. but my hard drive has chosen now to fail, (i have everything backed up) but i cannot get the macbook to recognise the mbox hardware now. is there a reason when the hard drive thats its used to daisy chaining with isnt linked up it wont recognise it? i just get a could not detect hardware error in system prefs.

7. zosoaudo007 macrumors member

What's the problem? The MBox doesn't work unless the HDD is connected to it? Please be very clear and specific

8. daliscar55 macrumors member

well for some reason at the moment it isnt being recognised at all. my hard drive has failed and now it wont see the soundcard, so my question is, does the external drive need to be attached? it shuld see the mbox when its connected via firewire straight into the mac correct? its not seeing it all right now....

9. zosoaudo007 macrumors member

It should see the interface (Mbox) with or w/o the hdd connected to it. So the hard drive doesn't work either? What soundcard are you talking about...the MBox? Please be clear and specific. It is very difficult to help when I have trouble understanding exactly what is wrong.

Try turning EVERYTHING off. Your Macbook, then your hard drive(s). Then plug only the Mbox in and boot the computer up. Go to the Audio MIDI settings and adjust the settings there. Select the MBox under Default Output (and/or System Output). Play some song or audio while doing this to see if it is working.

Make sure your monitors/speakers are properly connected to the MBox if you aren't getting any sound, but the Mbox is recognized.

If it isn't listed there, then it doesn't recognize the MBox.

To see if the hdd works, turn everything off. And plug only the hdd into the firewire port. After the computer is up and running turn it on and see if it mounts and is functioning correctly.

If neither work, it is possible your firewire port may be broken

10. daliscar55 macrumors member

well the hard drive seems to work intermitently, but thats not the problem im discussing here, and yes its the mbox pro 2

The mbox isnt even recognised in audio midi settings, how do i get it to see it? ive reinstalled the core audio digidesign driver but it still wont show... perhaps this is where my problem lies....

11. zosoaudo007 macrumors member

Ok, so if it isn't showing up there you should check out and see if there are updated drivers out there. Are you on 10.5.5? I know Digi just released 7.4.2 a few weeks ago. It might not hurt to download that update as it might contain some newer driver information for the MBOX 2 Pro.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&langid=1&itemid=23192

If your hard drive is working intermittently, it is still possible your firewire port is causing issues. But even then, I'm pretty sure you should still be able to select it in Audio MIDI settings

12. daliscar55 macrumors member

what actually happened was that it was in there, however it was greyed out so removed it and attempted to reinstall the driver. i use the mbox with logic so i dont need the protools update, and also am only on 10.4.11, i dont hugely like leopard

13. daliscar55 macrumors member

the standalone driver there is the same one ive been using to reisnstall with, still doesnt work

14. zosoaudo007 macrumors member

I see, so are you using the Tiger one or the Leopard one? I assume you're using the Tiger one.

If you have another way to check your firewire port to make sure it is working you should do that.

I mean, your firewire audio interface isn't working correctly. And your firewire hard drive isn't either. Take it to a friends place and try one of their firewire devices (preferably a hdd) that you know works.

It sucks, but that really does need to be ruled out. In the meantime, you can contact Digi and see if they have any information for you. It may be a recent issue they are familiar with and can help you fix it.

15. daliscar55 macrumors member

firewire port works, drive still lights up, i can hear it struggling when it tries to start spinning hence i think its a failed drive. i have other firewire products that still work normally also so i dont think its the port.

im stumped as to why the mbox wouldnt show up again at all...

16. daliscar55 macrumors member

i reinstalled protools and the problem is now solved. hard drive still kaput though :(

17. windo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hard drive

hmm just want to inform about external harddrive,.. usb hard drive (even usb 2.0) isn't recommended for recording activities with mbox 2 pro, check digidesign web to make sure.

thanks

18. daliscar55 macrumors member

thanks for that, i was actually just looking around for some detaisl on the right kind of drive to get. i need to replace this 600gb lacie big disk extreme triple interface that has just failed, so whats the best, cheapest solution? im assuming it has to be firewire as thats the only chain the mbox pro has got but what hard drives do others use with the same setup?

19. UgLy KoeRner macrumors member

UgLy KoeRner

M box pro 2 ? There is a 2 now? and I was also wondering about the hardrive I should get. Was thinking about getting a TB, Is there anything I should keep an eye out for that will keep the computer runnning at well form, If the HD affects the speed at all, once full?