Mbox 2 Pro vs M-Audio 1814

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by BSORocks, Jun 9, 2008.

1. BSORocks macrumors newbie

I am looking to get myself a ProTools rig now that Digidesign is finally cooperating with OS Leopard. However, I'm trying to decide between getting an Mbox 2 Pro (with PT LE) or an M-Audio Firewire 1814 (with PT M-Powered).

M-Audio has more inputs (line inputs anyway, though they are unbalanced) but it also has ADAT Lightpipe, which means I can expand my setup (by adding more mic pres, for example) down the road as I see fit. Other than that, I really don't see any difference between the two.

Does anyone have any advice for me one way or the other?
    Thanks.
    --Jeremy

2. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

Either would be a good choice. But in my own personal experience, I like Digidesign's A/D converters over M-Audio's. If you get an opportunity to demo the two in-store, I'd recommend that you do that before making your choice.

3. windo macrumors newbie

mbox 2 pro on macbook?

hmm i agreed, i think a/d will be better in Mbox 2 Pro. But will it work on Macbook hence macbook only had 1 firewire port and Mbox 2 pro is 2 ports

4. nixoblivion macrumors newbie

i answered that question already in another post...

but my question would be, are PT LE and PT M-powered the same? where are the differences? is it only in plug ins? ive heard they are supposed to be extremly similar...