Mbox file recovery

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oblivion945, Aug 15, 2012.

1. oblivion945 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Apologies if this is not the right area for posting but I have an issue that I am hoping might be solved. The issue is as follows, I have reinstalled OSX Lion on my Macbook and realised that there were some emails that I needed. I realise that people will suggest backup and I am now using a solution, I wish to know if there is any software available that might be able to recover the .mbox files or emails themselves from the default osx mail app in my previous installation. This was a pop3 account so I have the sent items but not the received as the synching appears somewhat arbitrary. Any advice/suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your emails are stored in the ~/Library folder, when you reinstalled OSX you over wrote your /Users/<username> folder.

If you don't have a backup of your system you emails are gone

3. oblivion945 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Thanks for the swift response. I stupidly assumed that there was a recovery software solution ala windows disk drill etc.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can try any one of these:

(from member simsaladimbamba)
    • Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
    • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)